Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK "Polytechnic" Degree - not a "degree" after all?

Oh!.... I started at college, which became a poly and my second degree was from a polytechnic university......... Er is this going to be more problematic than I first thought?

As I say, I didn't get mine assessed in the end. But from what I remember, the issue was 'transcripts'. Modern degrees hae a detailed transcript of the course, detailing what was studied. Medieval qualifications like ours are lacking them, so it's hard for NZQA to assess them.

I haven't had mine assessed so can't comment on NZQA but I managed to get transcripts of both my HND and Postgraduate Diploma through the polytechnic (now university) for around £30 if I remember rightly. That was from around 1992 - god I'm sooo old

HTH
    Karenx

Thats ok if you don't have to, but we will be very reliant on these degrees. I have just checked on the list of recognised establishments and both my issuing establishments are in brackets next to the university they are now known as..... phew! I have just applied for a search to find any records as they only keep 12 years and with the original campus now sold. Peebles...... My first degree is from 1988 so you can feel a little less old!

I had the same prob with my degree from Leeds Uni 1985. First they came back and said they have no record of me so i emailed them a scan of my degree certificate then they came back and said only keep records so long.

I'd like to understand the significance of the Pre-Assessment (PAR) versus the full IQA. Let's see if I've got this straight:

If I get a PAR from NZQA which assesses my degree as Level 7 (or above) then I can claim 50 points towards my EOI (under the Skilled Migrant Category). That much I am pretty sure about...

However, if my EOI is selected and an ITA is issued, is it 100% certain that I will need to go back to NZQA for the 'full' IQA on my degree? Or are there some situations where they are happy to proceed on the basis of the PAR alone?

Can someone confirm that last part for me?

Cheers!
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by PeKaJoSa View Post
    A quick question for osmyth and/or chocolatecake: Was there much paperwork involved in the process for you? Did you have to contact your old 'poly' to get extra information?

(As you can see, I haven't looked very far into this process yet...!!)

Cheers,
    Pete.

Pete, I had a certificate and subject results sheet, but I thought i'd get a copy of the original prospectus from the Poly (Student Records dept) detailing the subjects on the course, so rang them and they sent a copy to me. I told them what it was about also warned them to expect something from NZQA in the near future.
    I sent all of the above plus my O and A level results (high school exams).
    I didn't send anything to do with work experience.
    My application is still at the 'Allocation' stage so not sure if they have all the right docs yet though.
    The PAR can be done online, just enter all the details of the degree, no need to send any docs.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by PeKaJoSa View Post
    I'd like to understand the significance of the Pre-Assessment (PAR) versus the full IQA. Let's see if I've got this straight:

If I get a PAR from NZQA which assesses my degree as Level 7 (or above) then I can claim 50 points towards my EOI (under the Skilled Migrant Category). That much I am pretty sure about...

However, if my EOI is selected and an ITA is issued, is it 100% certain that I will need to go back to NZQA for the 'full' IQA on my degree? Or are there some situations where they are happy to proceed on the basis of the PAR alone?

Can someone confirm that last part for me?

Cheers!
    Pete.

I think that if the degree isn't on the recognised list then you definitely have to get a full assessment, but as you say the PAR will get you through the EOI and you can do the IQA (full) when the ITA comes through. A problem with this approach is that the IQA could take a long time to complete, mainly because of delays in the NZQA getting info from the Poly, so you may have to ask for an ITA extension, or send it in the normal timescales and ask for the IQA to be accepted later.
    I chose to do the IQA first, because I wanted to be certain that I could get the 50 points before doing the EOI, and also i'm not in a rush as we have a 8 month old.

Oh, and I also sent a certified copy of my passport and marriage certificate, as my surname has become double-barrelled after getting married.

Owen -

Thanks for all that useful info!

Cheers!
    Pete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast