Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bin Inn

Default Bin Inn

In my research I keep coming across these places that seem to be a co-op bulk food type place but never see mentioned on forum. Are they not frequented much or are they expensive; do you have to be a member? In other words, what exactly are they about?

Bin Inn is just a bulk food shop; I'm not sure if it's a chain or a franchise, but they're nationwide. They used to be everywhere but now there don't seem to be so many around, which is probably why you don't see them mentioned much in here. But there are plenty of other bulk food shops around (for example I go to one called Bulk Food Savings in Mt Eden, Auckland). Nothing mysterious, you don't need to be a member, it's just a regular shop that sells food loose in bins, usually quite a bit cheaper and more variety than the supermarket.

Bin Inn sells a wide selection of foods in bulk such as baking ingredients, dried fruit, rice, cereals etc, plus pet foods and laundry stuff. The one in our town is also great for eco-friendly washing powders etc, for gluten-free foods and for international foods, but I'm not sure if this is just our local store or if they are all like that. The bulk food in ours is very good quality. They also sell excellent bread and cake mixes. And you don't need to be a member.

I assume they are a franchise outfit so the range and quality available may vary from branch to branch.

There's one here in Hamilton and as Derv says, they have some quite good cake and bread mixes. They sell herbs and spices loose (much cheaper) and various gluten free products. In fact, that reminds me we need to pay another visit.

We recently discovered a tiny little Bin Inn in Brown's Bay and excitedly went for a wander after hearing a few mentions on the forum. Unfortunately it was rather disappointing......there were more bins of bird seed and pet food than baking ingredients and although there was a reasonable selection of dried nuts etc, then looked like they had been sitting there for months and were past there best Hope the one in chch is much better because we love the idea of being able to stock up on baking ingredients more easily one day

There are a few dotted around and about but I find them very hit and miss. Some are awful and the stock in bad condition or poor quality, and some are well stocked.

Double-check prices as you can get carried away and assume it's all cheaper than the supermarket. I bought several items that I thought were cheap (olive oil and fine-grade flour) and they were actually more expensive than New World.

Binn Inn cake mixes are great - the Mud Cake in particular (just add three eggs and not the 2 recommended! )

Brill for bread mixes if you have a bread maker.

1 bag of granary mix is about $6 and makes three decent sized loaves.

Try getting three loaves of any half reasonable bread in a supermarket for $6. I think not.

I asked a local (Auckland kiwi) about Bin Inn and they told me to try Bulk Foods store on Dominion road in auckland instead. So will have a look there. Anyone have a comment about the store?

Thank you everyone for your input. Although I know what business I'm going to be doing, I've seen several of these for sale on the business sites and wondered about them. Cheers, Kristina

Quote Originally Posted by kanatakiwi View Post
    I asked a local (Auckland kiwi) about Bin Inn and they told me to try Bulk Foods store on Dominion road in auckland instead. So will have a look there. Anyone have a comment about the store?
    if it's the same one I mentioned in my post above - Bulk Food Savings on Dominion Rd at Valley Rd - yes, go there, it's got a great selection and the prices seem good. Specific example: 300g bag flax seeds at supermarket, $2.95 (from memory); 1 kg at BFS, $2.70. There are lots of Indian ingredients ( the friendly owner gave me advice about which kind of dhal to get last time I was there) plus other imported & unusual things as well as all the pantry staples like beans, rice, flour, etc etc. Highly recommended (Looks kind of pokey from the outside, don't be put off.)

https://www2.sslserver.co.nz/bargain...195&category=7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast