Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thrift stores & used stuff

Default Thrift stores & used stuff

I'm a long way out from actually moving, but out of curiosity I got a quote for a 20' shipping container and it was $7k+. The problem I have with this is that my valuable items are all of pretty small size (computer, bike), I don't own a car, and my furniture consists of second hand stuff that cost very little and I have pretty much zero attachment to.

So I figure it would be smartest to ship the reasonably-sized things via USPS or whatever, and get rid of the big bulky furniture that isn't worth much anyway, and then buy more cheap used furniture on the other side. But then I hear people talking about how that type of stuff is all way more expensive in NZ -- but I have no idea what level of quality people are talking about. I don't care about things being "nice." I just want cheap, used stuff. Is it around?

Try this

www.trademe.co.nz

Hope this helps

Liz

Is there anything like freecycle or craigslist?

Salvation Army in Wellington has plenty of beds, desks, couches, etc very cheap. It was $10 to get 5 pieces delivered the next day. Beds were $30 for singles, $60 for Queen including box spring. I got a very nice desk chair at Able Traders for $69.

There is a craigslist site for a few NZ cities but it gets very little traffic. Most of the Wellington site is confused people trying to post from Wellington, Florida.

My tastes tend toward cheap second hand as well and I haven't found things to be expensive at all. There just aren't as many choices and you have to wait for sales on a lot of things.

Excess baggage seems to be the cheapest way to get things over. I got some $25 plastic lockers at Fred Meyer and loaded each with 70 pounds of stuff, which is what Quantas allows. Some other airlines only allow 50 pounds, so be sure to check the guidelines before booking your flight.

That sounds great, Brian. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. So it looks like I'll try to take the most important stuff via excess baggage and the rest will have to come over via USPS. (apparently fedex and UPS don't ship to NZ)

edit: looks like weight is what really jacks up the price of USPS shipments. so it'd be cheapest to take the heavier stuff via excess baggage, although that conflicts with practicality because you'd probably want to bring clothing, bedding, etc, and leave the dishes and whatnot for a little later

Default info

Quote Originally Posted by mackstann View Post
    Is there anything like freecycle or craigslist?

try this : http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/nz

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by swissmissdesigner View Post

try this : http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/nz

good luck
    Have you actually gone there and looked around? It's completely empty. I was basically asking if there was any good place to find listings of free stuff.

Freecycle does exist in New Zealand. Just search for the area that you are going to live in. It's great. I haven't yet used it in NZ but have in the Seattle area.

The Salvation Army is also a good place to look, and some days they have specials!

Quote Originally Posted by ljrobin View Post
    Freecycle does exist in New Zealand. Just search for the area that you are going to live in. It's great. I haven't yet used it in NZ but have in the Seattle area.
    Oh thanks! I looked up "freecycle wellington" and ended up at the Wellington Florida group which discouraged me and made me think that one for Wellington NZ didn't exist. (not sure why I didn't look further...) I found it now though.

p.s. I'm in Portland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast