Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firewood

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Firewood

Could someone advise us of the best firewood to use (i.e optimum heat / burn etc) and what prices to expect? How much will we need a month? Also, anyone in Chch who has a woodburner - can you recommend a supplier of firewood?

Taa
    Moorf

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Tea-tree, or Manuka/Kanuka is a commonly used firewood in New Zealand. It burns long and slow, and gives off good heat. Pine is also a common source of firewood. Prices vary depending on where you buy firewood, but you can get trailer loads for under $100. A good sized Tea-tree log of about a foot long and 6 - 8 inches in diameter should last for about an hour and a half, maybe more.

A trailer load should last about a month, if the logs are a reasonable size.

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Whoops, looks like I was quoting on the low side, especially for Manuka/Kanuka, which is a hardwood. Price for about two trailer loads worth: CLICK ME. Split pine is the cheapest option.

A Christchurch supplier

Default Re: Firewood

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    Could someone advise us of the best firewood to use (i.e optimum heat / burn etc) and what prices to expect? How much will we need a month? Also, anyone in Chch who has a woodburner - can you recommend a supplier of firewood?

Taa
    Moorf
    We used http://www.cityfirewood.co.nz/woods.html. We have only ordered one lot so far and they turn up in a truck and dump the load on your drive. We bought the kiln dried off cuts as we are tight. They look like pine and I suspect burn quicker than your average log.

We have only used half of it as we are trying to be brave at the moment and not use the wood burner. Might crack soon though as the mornings have been a little chilly of late.

Thanks All... will check out the prices.

Richard... chilly?? :eek This is nothing mate

Tea Tree interesting, does it give of a nice smell as it burns or is it the same as pine.

Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    Thanks All... will check out the prices.

Richard... chilly?? :eek This is nothing mate
    Not cold yet??? :eek I am working at home with clothes, jacket and winter dressing gown on and I am still cold. My hands are like icecubes and I am may end up having to buy some fingerless gloves to keep typing!

This rental has no insulation in the walls and the room I work in, only gets the sun in the afternoon in time for me to pack up and get the kids from school . I want my central heating back

Tanya

I recommend you have the curry tonight to warm up! Sat here in my t-shirt with the patio doors open! :eek

Oh guys, sorry to here things are cooling rapidly down there on the south island! :P Things are very warm up here in the north, not cool enough for even a jumper in the evening yet!!

If your struggling for firewood, you could always pop up here to warm up, bring your trailer and you can take back a load of our firewood aswell!!

A

It's been 20 degs here today although obviously slightly cooler in Ilam where Tanya is!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast