Thread: Tauranga or Whangarei?

Default Tauranga or Whangarei?

HI
    I'm looking into emigrating as a midwife and have looked at both the above hospitals. Does anyone know about midwifery in either of these or give me any advice about them?

don't know about midwifery but can give you info on Tauranga as I live there. What do you want to know. Sorry can't help you with Whangarei.

I noticed there are often Midwifery vacancies on the BOPDHB website for Tauranga if that's a starting point?
    www.bopdhb.govt.nz-careers
    Can also answer any questions about Tauranga

I know they always seem to be looking for midwives .. whenever I browse the ads.
    My sister completed her nursing training last year and was thinking of coming for a year .. we have commented many times that she should nhave been a midwife

Perhaps it depends where you are looking ... the major centres have so many people applying that there is no shortage

Quote Originally Posted by canajanz View Post

Perhaps it depends where you are looking ... the major centres have so many people applying that there is no shortage
    Not strictly true, Christchurch is crying out for midwifes, look at the closing date for this advert

http://www.cdhb.govt.nz/hr/vacancies...ls.asp?id=6336

And in Clare's department on the nursing front there is an open ended advert for nurses. Also The Press carried a story a while back that Christchurch is short of at least 70 nurses

HI

Thanks for all that info. What do I want to know about Tarangua -- Everything!!!! I have been in contact with recruitment midwives in Tauranga hospital and they have said they would interview me! I have also told them that I would need to find employment for my husband who in the UK is a driving instructor. Any info re driving instruction/ job opportunities would be welcome.
    Also big concern is the number of posts about low wages, cost of living, high taxes and people leaving NZ. I would be earning around $48K and husband would hopefully be earning something!! There is only the 2 of us and we don't lead an extravagant lifestyle. Few beers at home at the weekend, we like walking & want a bit more of an outdoor lifestyle. We would rent initially and looking at the real estate sites would probably spend $1200 on rent per month. When ready to buy wouldn't have a mortgage bigger that $120000. Any comments if we would survive??!!

As location Tauranga is definetly better..this is my humble opinion.