Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Broadband Providers? Telepermit?

Default Best Broadband Providers? Telepermit?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend who the best broadband provider is - we're looking for a decent download speed and also a decent download allowance but not too pricey - having looked at a couple they seem to cost the same as over here?

We've sent our wireless router over and also our house phone in our container but just noticed that on the Telecom website it says something about getting a Telepermit for your own equipment? Is this standard practice?

Also could anyone suggerst a decent prepay mobile phone company that's reasonibly priced per month?

Thanks!!

Tony

Same as UK it is now normal to have your own phone. The Telepermit is just the same as the BT approved sticker. It means that you should not really connect anything to to the phone network that does not have the sticker attached as in the UK. However the phone network is the same as the UK, so adsl modems, phones etc work fine here ( I am using UK equipment). Remember you will have an issues with electrical chargers, will need a new plug or some sort of adapter. Hopefully you also shipped extension leads (power bars).

Only really 2 choces for Mobile phones vodafone and telecom (Telstra is new to the market)
    Last edited by Gar1; 6th October 2008 at 10:14 AM.

Pretty happy with Snap (http://www.snap.net.nz) so far. 69.99$ a month gets you full speed up and down and 25gigs a month, with additional gigs being 2$ per.

We also got our phone line with them, so our bill's about 100$ a month with them.

Oh speeds are higher than i've ever had in Canada, we get about 10mb down and anywhere between 800k and 1.2k upload.

easy to eat up that quota.

Hi,

Aren't there any unlimited plans in NZ? Here in India, we have a plan that gives us 384 kbps speed and unlimited download for Rs. 999 + Rs 99 for the wireless router per month i.e. about NZ$ 35 per month!!!!

Looks like our internet bill's gonna shoot way up once we move to NZ!!!

~dee
    Hoping to move to Auckland in Dec. '08

Xnet is one I've heard good things about.

Quote Originally Posted by deepthir View Post
    Hi,

Aren't there any unlimited plans in NZ? Here in India, we have a plan that gives us 384 kbps speed and unlimited download for Rs. 999 + Rs 99 for the wireless router per month i.e. about NZ$ 35 per month!!!!

Looks like our internet bill's gonna shoot way up once we move to NZ!!!

~dee
    Hoping to move to Auckland in Dec. '08
    There are unlimited plans, but they tend to be very expensive and not many ISPs provide them.

Thanks guys.

Does Snap work in Auckland as on the website i noticed it says that it's cheaper for Wellington / Christchurch.

Cheers.

Kat

Thanks for the info! that's the first i've heard of unlimited plans... but if they're really expensive, guess i'll have to forget about it and go for something more affordable! sigh!

~dee

I wound up going with Telecom because with them, after you hit the monthly limit you can continue using the connection with no additional fees but at what they consider dial-up speeds. Webpages like this work fine, but any sort of video is frustratingly slow.

I hit the 3Gig limit in about 4 days. I'm stubbornly staying with this plan for the moment, but realistically I'll probably want to pay the extra $20 to get 20 gigs unless I can curb my addiction to downloading a half dozen US TV shows every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I wound up going with Telecom because with them, after you hit the monthly limit you can continue using the connection with no additional fees but at what they consider dial-up speeds. Webpages like this work fine, but any sort of video is frustratingly slow.

I hit the 3Gig limit in about 4 days. I'm stubbornly staying with this plan for the moment, but realistically I'll probably want to pay the extra $20 to get 20 gigs unless I can curb my addiction to downloading a half dozen US TV shows every week.
    Yeah good point there Brian!! Looks like Telecom might be the best option for us too then

Cheers

Tony

If you're in Wellington city, Kapiti or Christchurch you can get Telstra cable, which is excellent. We pay around $100 a month for 10Mbit down, 2Mbit up and 20Gig per month allowance. It's only gone down once in the 18 months we've had it.
    If you can't get cable then your line will be a Telecom phone line, but remember you are NOT stuck with Telecom for ADSL - in fact you'd be much better going with other providers. We used Maxnet in our rental and they were great, and they don't slow you down if you go over the limit like most providers over here seem to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast