Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving

Default Thanksgiving

I understand from one of the canadians on this forum that Thanksgiving weekend is coming up again
    I know the American version is about 6 weeks later .. sort of a practice run for Christmas dinner

For those of you in North America (cuz i cant recall it ever being an issue in UK) Thanksgiving is possibly something you will miss
    Harvest festival, which is what it is based on, is of course at the other end of the year (march april)
    Turkey is in short supply so is very expensive

Yes I miss turkey ... and all the turkey leftovers ... and resonably priced cranberry ...

On the up side the novelty of Christmas on the beach ... a bbq christmas ... or salads and a cold ham ...

I wonder how many other favourite holidays are not observed here or at least .. not at the same time

father's day is one that comes to mind

You bet.....Canadian Thanksgiving is Oct 13 this year. Happy Thanksgiving

Yep... Canadian Club is hosting a Thanksgiving dinner this weekend at the Botanical Gardens.... Turkey and all the trimmings.....Yum can't wait.
    Americans celebrate Thanksgiving a month later sometime in November, guess its because of a later harvest.

American Thanksgiving is on the 27th this year; it falls on the last Thursday in November each year.
    Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and I think it will be the hardest for me to get over when we move. Not just because of the food (really!) but because of the friends and family that come over all day and watch movies, play outside, and eat eat eat! I love to entertain and cook and I invite the Thanksgiving "orphans" to my house, friends who don't have family close by who would otherwise spend the holiday alone.
    We'll just have to make friends quickly in NZ and get used to roast chicken to cut costs!

Default Halloween?

What about Halloween? We just spent part of the afternoon making some fall and halloween decorations for our house and the girls are really excited about their costumes this year. Haven't heard anything about it in NZ though...

I will miss thanksgiving... oh well, pumpkin pie for easter doesn't sound too bad

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeansGo View Post
    What about Halloween? We just spent part of the afternoon making some fall and halloween decorations for our house and the girls are really excited about their costumes this year. Haven't heard anything about it in NZ though...

I will miss thanksgiving... oh well, pumpkin pie for easter doesn't sound too bad
    We have quite a big thing round our way that a few of the mums organised a few years back and has grown since then.

All the local streets have a party, they meet at the local park for a picnic and then head off in groups to go trick or treating - leaflets are put through doors to warn houses and signs put up by those that don't want little visitors. Some of the neighbours really get into it with decorations, treats, costumes etc and everyone has a good time.

Its odd doing it in daylight though ....

Cheers

Tia

We had no problem getting a turkey for our Thanksgiving open house last year. Now trying to get Kraft mini marshmallows for the sweet potatoes is another story.

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    We have quite a big thing round our way that a few of the mums organised a few years back and has grown since then.

All the local streets have a party, they meet at the local park for a picnic and then head off in groups to go trick or treating - leaflets are put through doors to warn houses and signs put up by those that don't want little visitors. Some of the neighbours really get into it with decorations, treats, costumes etc and everyone has a good time.

Cheers

Tia
    Oh I am glad about that! One of my kids birthdays is on Halloween so a big party has become kind of a tradition!

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post

Cheers

Tia
    oh yay! the girls will now happily consent to the move

daylight trick or treating might be a bit odd, but I'll sure be glad not to have to go in the SNOW anymore!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast