Thread: Student visa to Work visa?

Default Student visa to Work visa?

Hi All,

I am on a student visa here, now and for the next one year, however i've found that i can easily complete my course on a part time basis as it's possible and it's related to my previous educational background.

I need to know can i convert from a student visa to a work visa if i get an offer of fulltime employment from a New zealand employer?

I mean am i eligible to apply for a work visa if i find a suitable employer even though i am on a student visa upto the next year?

Many Thanks if someonone can answer this for me.

Would anyone please answer this for me?

As far as I can make out, if you are currently the holder of a student visa, you are only able to take up part time work.
    Best to contact your local immigration dept to clarify though.

I think it depends on the nature of the employment.
    Student visas may allow you to work a certain number of hours a week, but those hours are few, and it's really designed for full time students- not part time as you hope to do.
    So, if you want to do it part time and hence work on a work visa....
    Your job offer would likely have to meet all the typical criteria that NZIS speak of. Meaning, it would have to be an accredited employer, or they pay you $50k a year, and you have to prove that there is no Kiwi able to do the job. I don't recall what else they require for work visas.

When I checked into this a few years ago, I believe it worked like this - when on a student visa, you can work 20 hours per week while school is in session, and I believe full time during breaks. After you get your degree you get an open work permit for either 6 or 12 months, I forget which.

If you get a job offer you may qualify for a work permit without a degree - it would be basically the same as anyone coming in and applying for a work permit. I don't know if there are any complications with continuing to study after you switch to a work visa. You may want to check with the school on that. I'm sure it's come up.

When I was on a student permit I had a 20 hour/week allowance to work - this was indicated on my visa.

I don't think it would be a problem to get a work permit (once you have an offer of employment) however, you'll have to check on what the policy is regarding holding two types of permits. You might have to give one up.

The purpose of a student permit is for studying to be your primary activity. If you intend work to be your primary activity, you'll have to switch over to a work permit. There shouldn't be a problem with you studying part time on a work permit - but you'll still be liable for international fees.

Thanks all, any immigration lawyers here though who can further clarify.

Why don't you just give NZIS a call/email/visit and find out straight from the horse's mouth?