Thread: No qualifications & No experience

Default No qualifications & No experience

I havent really scratched the surface when it comes to immigrating to NZ but thanks to this forum and after the expo in London I should be starting the ball rolling soon. One concern under my circumstances is my brother. He is 25yrs and has no schooling grades and has been in and out of work since he left school. Most jobs he has been at very rarely last longer than a few months with long stints of being unemployed in between. That is until recently where he qualified to hold an SIA licence allowing him to do security work and has been in employment for 1yr+.

What would be the best way for my brother to gain PR?
    He will be going with my mum and I, who should be expected to get PR (hopefully) does this change anything for my brother?
    We will have approx £100k to put as a down payment for a house, does this change anything?

Any feedback will be most welcome.
    Thanks,
    CJ

Is he capable of becoming a police officer? That would get him in.

Cheers Nick,

He could potentially become a police officer but the requirement would be for him to work 2 years as a patrol constable before he is qualified. Although this is not ideal its not the worse thing that could happen as it will just mean he wont be joining us in NZ straight away.

This gets me thinking, it doesnt have to be police officer, he could do an open university course or something to get some qualifications or go to college to learn a trade, hmm the clogs are turning....

I wonder though, could he go over to NZ with a working visa then say land a job working as a labourer or something for 3 months maybe go for the extension for an extra 3 months and hopefully they would want to keep him on. If all that happens potentially he will have enough points to apply for PR.

Do you ever hear of that happening?

CJ

Sounds a bit like a Work To Residence visa. You might have to choose something a bit more desirable than a labourer, though, NZ has enough of them already.

If being a copper takes too long, what about another security job like prison officer? There is always a call for them here. It needn't be forever, just until he gets PR, then he can decide if it is the job he wants to stay in for a while. He could have a chat with NZ Prison Service and see if he would be eligible to get on the training course, and if they could smooth things over with NZIS.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2NZ View Post
    This gets me thinking, it doesnt have to be police officer, he could do an open university course or something to get some qualifications or go to college to learn a trade, hmm the clogs are turning....

I wonder though, could he go over to NZ with a working visa then say land a job working as a labourer or something for 3 months maybe go for the extension for an extra 3 months and hopefully they would want to keep him on. If all that happens potentially he will have enough points to apply for PR.

Do you ever hear of that happening?

CJ
    Hi,

One thing to consider is that if you are happy for him not to join you straight away, and you and your mother get residency, that is an extra 10 points that he will score for having family who are resident in NZ.
    I'm not sure you could get a work visa being a labourer. NZIS have various criteria for jobs on work visas, I think you have to be paid $50k and prove that no Kiwi can do the job, or have an accredited employer offer a job.

When it comes to PR,

30 points for age
    40 points for job offer
    10 points for outside Auckland

Gives 90, which is not enough to submit an application. But with family with PR, add an extra 10 and you get your 100.

It also depends on the nature of the employment. To go through the Skilled Migrant route, it needs to be an offer of Skilled Employment, which NZIS define somewhere on their site.

As for Work to Residence, I don't know anything about that at all, but it's a fairly long process, and again I think they have restrictions on the nature of the job.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../caniworkinnz/

Prison Service:

http://www.corrections.govt.nz/recruitment.html

One other thing:

Since he's young, he could apply for a Working Holiday Visa (routine). Go for the 24 month option, he would need to submit a chest x-ray I believe, and can only work for 12 months out of the 24. The other option is a 12 month WHV, no chest x-ray required.
    The advantage of this is that many people testify to how much easier it is to get a foot in the door, employment wise, once you're actually in NZ.

Many thanks for this it has been most helpful.