Thread: Airport charges?

Default Airport charges?

Hi,

I just booked a flight to Sydney through "Flightcentre"

The price quote they gave me was the "TOTAL FARE INCL ALL TICKETABLE TAXES/SURCHARGES 2530" - according to the e-mail.

Now the tickets are ready to be picked up (I needed paper tickets because we're flying with an infant) and they are telling me that I will need to pay an additional 25 Dollars per person at the Wellington airport.

That seems like bull to me: At least in Europe and the US, the law states that the price the agents quote has to be the final price without any additional charges.

Flightcentre also made some other mistakes in the booking and I'm really pissed off at their service - I wouln't recommend them to anyone.

Can I make a stink about this at the travel agency or are these 25 dollars per person just something I'll have to swallow?

Cheers,
    Papu
    Last edited by Papu; 8th October 2008 at 10:57 AM.

thats departure tax!

Quote Originally Posted by Papu View Post
    Hi,

I just booked a flight to Sydney through "Flightcentre"

The price quote they gave me was the "TOTAL FARE INCL ALL TICKETABLE TAXES/SURCHARGES 2530" - according to the e-mail.

Now the tickets are ready to be picked up (I needed paper tickets because we're flying with an infant) and they are telling me that I will need to pay an additional 25 Dollars per person at the Wellington airport.

That seems like bull to me: At least in Europe and the US, the law states that the price the agents quote has to be the final price without any additional charges.

Flightcentre also made some other mistakes in the booking and I'm really pissed off at their service - I wouln't recommend them to anyone.

Can I make a stink about this at the travel agency or are these 23 dollars per person just something I'll have to swallow?

Cheers,
    Papu
    Sounds like the departure tax to me.

Q. How much is the departure fee?
    A. For passengers 12 and over $25, children 2yrs to 11yrs - $10 and infants under 2yrs - no charge. You only pay departure fee at Wellington Airport for international travel directly out of Wellington Airport. If the international departure on your journey is from a different airport, you pay departure tax from that airport.
    You can't currently pay these charges in advance which is why you have to pay them at the airport.

If you were to fly from Auckland then they no longer charge this fee (it is now included in the cost of the flight).

Ian

Hiya Papu,

In Europe and the US, airport departure taxes (not related to airlines or travel agents) are included in your ticket, but that's because there's a prior agreement between the airport and government transport officials.

As Ian specified, only international departures from Auckland airport currently have the departure tax included in the ticket price. For departures from Wellington and Christchurch, the tax will need to be paid on the day.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Here at Rotorua Airport we charge a $5 departure LEVY (not a tax), and it is to be paid separately to your flight ticket. This has nothing to do with the airlines, it is for the development of the airport. (We will be International by this time next year!!)

Hamilton and Palmerston North also have this levy and I think Napier is also thinking of bringing it in.

Jules

I think that the key thing is the word "Ticketable". The departure tax, at Wellington Airport, is not "ticketable".

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Sounds like the departure tax to me.

You can't currently pay these charges in advance which is why you have to pay them at the airport.

If you were to fly from Auckland then they no longer charge this fee (it is now included in the cost of the flight).

Ian

My sister and hubby had to pay a charge to leave Auckland to go back to London in May but this was at Auckland Airport, which wasnt told to them until they were booking in at Auckland- not informed here at Napier ?

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by shakyle2906 View Post
    My sister and hubby had to pay a charge to leave Auckland to go back to London in May but this was at Auckland Airport, which wasnt told to them until they were booking in at Auckland- not informed here at Napier ?

Sharon
    Yep, the important point of my post was that they NO longer charge at Auckland, this was changed from 1st July 2008.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Yep, the important point of my post was that they NO longer charge at Auckland, this was changed from 1st July 2008.

Ian
    Sorry, had wrong end of stick!

Sharon
    x