Thread: Nursing registration: proof of hours question

Default Nursing registration: proof of hours question

I have posted my application for nurse registration this week. I then realised that I have to send evidence of my practice hours for the last three years. I'm wondering if they need proof of every hour I've worked for the last three years or just the 450 hours I would need for the annual practising certificate.

I have worked for several different employers over the last three years due to redundancy, then working for several agencies while looking for a full time post. I have contacted the agency I did the most work for and have been in a full time permanent post since March. I have had problems contacting my previous full time employer and though I know I will get hold of them eventually (and need to do this for the ITA) I can prove far more than 450 hours without waiting for them.

I am also wondering if I need to send professional development certificates.

If I email NZNC how long would it usually take to get a response?

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Hi

I went to human resources who printed off a stardard letter say that I had worked 24 hours per week for the last 3 hours.they did not tally up the actual amount.
    Certificates were not needed just needed to tick that I had completed so many hours of professional development.
    NZNC are slow in processing applications it is best to get all the documents together and send off,they took an age to answer emails so I always phoned to get an answer immediately.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by britzy View Post
    Hi

I went to human resources who printed off a stardard letter say that I had worked 24 hours per week for the last 3 hours.they did not tally up the actual amount.
    Certificates were not needed just needed to tick that I had completed so many hours of professional development.
    NZNC are slow in processing applications it is best to get all the documents together and send off,they took an age to answer emails so I always phoned to get an answer immediately.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Helen
    Yes it is helpful, thanks. I've recently been asked for a professional reference for someone who wants to go to Oz. I emailed a query and two weeks later still don't have a response. I was worried NZ would be the same.
    I spent a bit extra at the post office to get my application signed for in NZ so I'll know they have received it. I'll do the same when I get all this info together.

It took just under 3 months for OH to get nurse reg. He went to payroll and got a letter from them which showed how many hours he had worked.

When he needed to contact NZNC he emailed and had a reply usually the next day, but once it took two weeks to get a response. I think it's because sometimes you receive emails from a generic email address as NZNC and sometimes it's from a personal email address of a member of staff at NZNC. If you respond to the personal address and they are away then you don't get a reply. We were always undecided which email address to use

As Britzy says, no certificates needed.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TrentBridge View Post
    It took just under 3 months for OH to get nurse reg. He went to payroll and got a letter from them which showed how many hours he had worked.

When he needed to contact NZNC he emailed and had a reply usually the next day, but once it took two weeks to get a response. I think it's because sometimes you receive emails from a generic email address as NZNC and sometimes it's from a personal email address of a member of staff at NZNC. If you respond to the personal address and they are away then you don't get a reply. We were always undecided which email address to use

As Britzy says, no certificates needed.

Good luck.
    I should, hopefully, have a letter on the way from one ex-employer and I've decided to put my request to the other one (the one who made me redundant) in writing instead of wasting time on the phone.
    Emails can be confusing, particularly if you get a auto-response. I had one of these from the NMC when requesting a verification pack from the NMC. I'm still waiting for said pack nearly a week later. I'd have thought they'd have been a lot faster considering its an opportunity to sting someone for money (I've also just paid my annual registration fee. Can you tell I'm a tad bitter ).

I was lucky - I only had 2 employers andwas on good terms with them both. I approached my grade 6/7 and each wrote a letter confirming I had been employed full time from and to and the total numberof hours worked. I think they did take off my annual leave. As for training - I contacted the training department and they gave me a sunmmary of the courses & dates. No problem getting my APC.

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    I was lucky - I only had 2 employers andwas on good terms with them both. I approached my grade 6/7 and each wrote a letter confirming I had been employed full time from and to and the total numberof hours worked. I think they did take off my annual leave. As for training - I contacted the training department and they gave me a sunmmary of the courses & dates. No problem getting my APC.
    This is why I was hoping not to have to worry about proving my hours until I applied for my APC. We are a couple of years away from that so I would have been with my current employer for nearly the three years and it would have been easier. I know I need proof of experience for our skilled migrant application but I would at least have had my regisration underway while getting this info!

The ex employer I've decided to write to is in London - not so easy to call in and ask.

I received my verification pack from the NMC this morning and one of my references has already been posted. I'm getting there, slowly!