Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended cars?!

Default Recommended cars?!

Hi guys,

We're currently thinking of buying a car when we come over in Jan, especially as it seems as if it's a buyer's market!

I wanted to do some research before we came. I'm familar with some of the UK models, but can anyone recommend any models (i.e. a car/ 4x4 to fit 3 people and about 6 suitcases?!)

Thanks!

We have been browsing trademe a lot recently and obviously Japanese cars over in NZ are similar to what we know here and there seem to be lots of them. We like to look of the LWB Mitsubishi Pajero which looks like the LWB Shogun...have a feeling they are both one of the same. I know I have seen Pajeros here, but they have always been the short wheel base! Yet to try one out though so can't comment on their reputation but my friends mum loved hers. In general most japanese vehicles tend to be quite good anyway, don't they???

Hope this is of some help,
    Julie

Default well...

If you don't know which car to choose and need it fast, just get a TOYOTA CAMRY. You can sell it (re-sell value is always good for CAMRY) and get a second one you need a better car.

My best friend's wife is Spanish, and she nearly wet herself laughing when she first saw a car with the name "Pajero". Have a look at this, and you'll understand why she thought it was so funny:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero

It brings a whole new perspective to Julies statement that "I know I have seen Pajeros here"....

Cheers!
    Pete M

I would stay away from the Nissan Mistral and Terrano (aka Ford Maverick) we had one; it was a nice drive but not the most reliable vehicle...

We've driven Subaru's for the past 6 years... an Impreza and currently a Forester. We'll definitely buy another Subaru when we arrive in March and will probably go back to the Impreza model again, now that our little one is 5 years and we're not carting so much stuff around.

However, I notice you need to fit in around 6 suitcases. Subaru do the Legacy model and that is what we rented during our 'recce' trip in March of this year...huge boot, plus added flexibility of full folding rear seats should you need it. Coupled with this, Subaru's reliability is superb and safety ratings very good across the full range of models.

It must also be said that Subaru's customer service is fantastic... well it is in the UK, we'll see what it's like in NZ when we arrive in March!!!

Simon
    Last edited by Red Devil; 14th October 2008 at 08:44 AM.

We've got a Ford Falcon station wagon and really like it. Great car, HUGE boot and really comfortable.

I personally think that it is a better drive than the BMW my OH had in the UK but mainly because the engine has much more torque.

If you have 6 suitcases and don't want to break your back, then go for a low-end SUV like a Subaru Forester or Subaru legacy wagon. They are not as thirsty as other SUVs and I love the handling - very responsive and reliable.

We bought a Misubishi V3000. It's a truck in the body of a wagon. really spacious, decent highway milage.
    Probably any japanese station wagon would work for you.

Cars are a very personal thing so it would be very hard to advise someone.
    I am partial to volkswagen ... but have succumbed to the financial advantages of buying Toyota.
    Toyota certainly holds it's value and they seem to be quite reliable.
    If you want a ffamiliar car and will be in Auckland there IS a Rover dealer there who was very good when we were there.

There is some confusion with the model names ... the NZ new cars have different names than the same car imported from Japan.... and some of them are quite funny .. obviously funny, not as subtle as the Pajero hahahahahaa (not the same as Shogun as far as i know)
    Some of them are the same thing you are used to but renamed... you will laugh when you see your first xxxx car as you recognise it as a NNNN car.

Holden = GM = vauxhall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast