Thread: SMA Progress baby milk?

Question SMA Progress baby milk?

Can I get SMA Progress milk in NZ?

Can I take tins on the flight? ?can i put some in the container?

Should I wean LITTLE MAN onto cows milk before we leave the uK?

Also nappies - which ones are cheap and good in NZ? I use tecos ultra dry at the moment , he seems to have a rash after wearing the pampers ones?

Thanks

i only bought 1 pack of nappies in NZ and they were rubbish, they were all very expensive (compared to uk) Sadly i can't even remember what make they were

I have seen SMA, but dunno about the progress one. Have a look on www.foodtown.co.nz online shopping section...

Nappies, you can get good, cheap ones. www.babyonline.co.nz. We use Airplus, and for daytime I just started using pull ups, but Pams ones that come from New world/Pak n Save, and they do a good job too. I have also heard that the Pams nappies are actually quite good too, guess it depends what fits your babies bum!

My midwife advised that progress milks were not really necessary and just a marketing ploy. They tend to only have added iron and vitamins, which you can give to your son by way of a varied diet.

We are trying various nappies out - my stash of washable nappies is in the container and not due to arrive till November. I got some Treasures, but they weren't any good overnight, fine for daytime though. Select by Woolworths worked well for day and night. At the moment we are using a box of Huggies as they were on special offer. Hopefully we shall have our Bumgenius, Mother Ease and Blueberries by the time this lot runs out..................or she'll decided to go dry. If it helps, I too occasionally used Tesco own and found them very good (if you've space in your container I'd say shove several large packs in )

Lx

SMA has recently entered the NZ market but is different from the UK one. I'm not sure if they have SMA Progress.

When we had our little ones we knew that we would be coming to NZ so made sure that they didn't get used to one type of milk in the UK. When we got here we put them onto Nurture Gold (made by Heinz/Watties) which they seemed to like. They are now on the follow-on formula but we've decided to go onto cow's milk instead of the toddler milk (we're giving them cow's milk with breakfast now and they are fine with it).

On the flight you can take tins of milk (and you are allowed to bring it into the country) - the problem is if you still use sterilised water as you can't bring that through security. Water on the plane isn't very sterile at all so you end up havign to buy lots of bottles of mineral water to take with you! An alternative is to buy cartons of pre-mixed milk when you get through security (they sell it in Boots).

Nappies here are a little bit rubbish to be honest. We use Huggies as they have previously been the best for our two but now that they move around lots they are starting to leak more and more; they also aren't cheap! They are also not unisex so we end up with a box for the girl and a box for the boy and can't share them when we go out. A box of nappies (64ish but depends on the size of the baby) costs around $38-$40 when on special (which is when we buy lots of them). My advice is to fill your container with nappies from the UK!

My OH has heard good things about some Japanese nappies (called GOO.N) which you can buy on mail order here so once we get through our current stockpile of Huggies we are going to give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post

On the flight you can take tins of milk (and you are allowed to bring it into the country) - the problem is if you still use sterilised water as you can't bring that through security.
    You can take sterilized water through security and onto the plane now - the rules were relaxed in January this year.

This is what it says on Heathrow's site about baby formula, milk, water and food:

What about a bottle or carton of prepared milk or sterilized water, do they need to be a maximum of 100ml?

No, nor do they have to fit in the resealable bag. However, the amount must be sufficient for your trip only and you will be asked to taste the liquids by a security officer. There are no limits on powder formula and bottled water is available in shops after security and airlines can provide water during the flight.

Can you buy cartons of formula milk from the shops after security?

Yes. Boots sell Cow & Gate ready to drink formula in both 250ml and 500ml after security at Heathrow and Stansted. Every country which is implementing the new security arrangements has accepted that parents with babies should be able to carry sufficient baby food/milk for the journey, so "reasonable amounts" are exempted although you may be asked to taste them.

What happens if the baby can only tolerate non-dairy and needs Soya or rice milk?

As long as the milk is in a bottle and tasted by the accompanying adult at security thatís fine.

What about jars of baby food?

Any jars of baby food will be required to be opened and tasted, they do not need to go into the re-sealable bag.

What about pureed food in plastic pots or containers?

Any pots of baby food will be required to be opened and tasted; they do not need to go into the re-sealable bag.

Thanks thats great news - i may buy some cheap tesco nappies and put them in the container - and try out the suggestions in NZ. I think i will start to wean him onto cows milk - but take progress milk with me on the plane as the thought of carrying pints of milk as well as everything else !!!!

Thanks everyone