Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit Crunch & Supermarket Prices

Thumbs up Credit Crunch & Supermarket Prices

As part of my current job (supporting people with intellectual difficulties living idependantly) I get involved a lot with shopping on very limited budgets.

As a result I get to go to most of the major supermarkets fairly often and the cost of food is always a talking point amongst the staff generally.

Lately the 'word on the street' has been that New World (traditionally seen as relatively expensive) has got a lot cheaper in recent weeks.

Now, I helped a household of three plus one staff (i.e. four adults) shop for a week in Pak n Save on Wednesday night. I also needed to do the shopping at home today for a week (2 adults, 2 kids) so went to New World.

I reckon that we bought roughly the same amount of stuff and taking off the $20 for a new tin opener and a big bottle of orange squash which I reckon would skew the figures it came to within $5 of the same cost.

Now, this was hardly a closely monitored scientific experiment, obviously, and the range of purchases wasn't identical, but it was broadly similar, I have to say I was surprised to find that indeed New World appears to be pretty competitive at present.

Also given that (for me) New World is a lot closer and (imho) a much nicer shopping experience (they pack your bags, gave me a free chocolate, free coffee and 6c off petrol voucher - 4c at PnS) it makes NW a winner for me this week.

The same 'word on the street' reckons that Countdown have gone the opposite way and are now quite expensive. I have no reference to prove or disprove that one.

So, whether it's a sign of the global credit crunch or not I have no idea, but interesting nonetheless.

Just thought you all might be interested.

Triple-B your roving consumer reporter

Would agree with you. I tried Pak and Save last week and ended up spending more than I did at New World and like you NW is just down the road so they have the thumbs up from me at the moment. (my opinion of course)

We have found NW here are definitely cheaper now than Pak 'n' Save, yesterday was our best shop in a while and we picked up a few extras Only trouble for us is our petrol voucher is only valid in Masterton which is the opposite direction to home ! ! Good job the local garage takes our petrol voucher even if it is 4 cents off maximum.

Used to find Woolworths very expensive, only been in once in the last 6 mths to the Masterton one and found it to be a nightmare layout, definitely wouldn't want to shop in there every week, some things were way over priced as well compared to PnS and NW.

Hmmm Interesting. I normally shop at Countdown, but now I'm wondering whether to try New World. Just my luck though, I will get stuck with a huge shopping bill Anyone got any comments on the NW at Rangiora?

I use NW in Rangiora, or if I fancy a drive with different scenery I go to the Rolleston one. I like both and although it's roughly the same time to go to Countdown I've found it to be a wee bit more expensive (probably to pay for the new refit!!).

I also found stuff in Binn Inn Rangiora to be more expensive than in NW in some instances - olive oil for one.

The only thing that annoys me about NW is they often have a really bad selection of fresh fish... or am I just shopping on the wrong days...

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyBeardyBloke View Post

...a much nicer shopping experience (they pack your bags, gave me a free chocolate, free coffee

Triple-B your roving consumer reporter

Free chocolates. free coffee??? What did you have to do for that?

At Pak'n'save you get free cardboard boxes and you get to juggle trolleys at the checkout.

In NW's there's often a pot of free fresh coffee on the go... not sure all of them have it - Rangiora defintely does. You just help yourself.. milk and sugar also provided!

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    I use NW in Rangiora, or if I fancy a drive with different scenery I go to the Rolleston one. I like both and although it's roughly the same time to go to Countdown I've found it to be a wee bit more expensive (probably to pay for the new refit!!).

I also found stuff in Binn Inn Rangiora to be more expensive than in NW in some instances - olive oil for one.

The only thing that annoys me about NW is they often have a really bad selection of fresh fish... or am I just shopping on the wrong days...

Do you mean you have found Countdown to be a wee bit more expensive. I would probably prefer to use NW cause I can get flybuys (I do have a onecard which can be used at Countdown - but would rather flybuys)

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post

Ok so we don't buy fish, but we have noticed a definite difference in the availability of fresh fruit and veg, fresh dips and bin bags depending on what day we shop.

The above comments are interesting because we did one of our very occasional trips to Countdown last week to stock up on a few items we can't get in NW.....5kg bags brown bread flour, 5kg bags basmati rice, 1kg blocks of vegetarian cheese, and a few signature range items that are generally cheaper in Countdown than our local Foodtown like sun dried tomatos, pesto and also veggie sausages. Much to our surprise these items were significantly more expensive so we didn't end up buying anything apart from the flour, rice and cheese (and only because we can't get those things elsewhere). The countdown in question has also had a fancy new refit

Do you mean you have found Countdown to be a wee bit more expensive.
    Recently, yes always used Countdown before as was on OH's way back from work..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast