Thread: Water bottles - plastic/stainless steel/other?

Question Water bottles - plastic/stainless steel/other?

Recently in the news here, there has been a LOT of kafuffle over plastics with chemicals that leech into your drinks. So people have been chucking their old plastic water bottles, not buying the prebottled stuff, and going for an alternative.

Perhaps over paranoid but the non plastic ones last longer. Our family went and bought a stainless steel water for each person...various sizes and we LOVE them. We'll be bringing them with us, purely because they cost a pretty penny.

Question is - are stainless steel bottles a big thing there? or becoming so? Are the kids allowed to take their own water bottles to school with them?

One of the best things my daughter likes about her class is that they are allowed to have their water bottles on their desks. My kids only drink water or milk, so I'm not worried about having to fight over juice with the school...just the issue of whether they can have their bottles out or not. Not a big thing, just a curiosity.

Cheers

not too sure about the bottle at school issue, but i thought the plastic issue was to do with plastics that are heated, so don't see how it would affect a water bottle???

I've been hearing similar things on the grapevine here but not seen any big news headlines yet.

At DS's school they are allowed access to their water bottles throughout the day. When he was younger they were all stored in a basket near the sink in the classroom. Now they are trusted to pop into the cloak bay (next to the classroom) as and when they need water. The school also has several drinking fountains around the school grounds for break times.

HTH
    Anneliese

I've seen a lot of news about a chemical in many bottles used to harden the plastic. They were especially concerned about baby bottles.

The Klean Kanteen people showed up at our local renewable energy fair this summer and were a big hit. Looks like they only seel in US and Canada at this point.

Yep drinking fountains and the kids all are allowed water bottles at school
    We've got steel bottles that we use for the car/camping and the kids have insulated plastic ones for schools. I'm weaning my kids off juice with heavily watered down fruit juice at meals times and water or milk at all other times - bit difficult cos we're getting into summer and they need to keep their fluids up but hey I'm starting early this year

Karenx

If the kids take their nice shiny metal water bottles to school, expect them to be not so shiny and dented within a week or two - I speak from experience here Plastic is waaaay better.

Water bottles are compulsory at daughters school.....they are kept in basket in classroom during the day that also gets taken outside at breaktime. When kids go to school without their water bottles the kids get sent home with a 'naughty parents' type note. There are also water fountains outside every pod of classrooms too.