Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK dvds

Default UK dvds

Just a wee question, trying to get my son a wee potable dvd as i was not sure if dvds work with nz dvd players, is this a stupid question as i feel stupid asking will dvds from uk work in nz dvds player thanks

Natasha

I hope so because I've got tons of them that I want to take with me. I hope someone comes along soon with an answer.

I know it's no help in this situation but I know NZ dvds plan on UK players because OH brought the Lion Man DVD over last Christmas. So I'm hoping it will work in reverse. Although I'd planned on taking my UK DVD Player over with us when we go so until it packs up then we would have that to play them on.

Tiggergirl

Cool

If you are taking a DVD player from the UK to NZ you will of course be able to play your DVD's however should you wish to add to your collection in NZ unless you alter your DVD's machine setting to multi region they will not work.....

I bought a multi region player in the UK which I took to NZ and had no difficulty playing discs that I had bought in NZ....

Hope that helps

My UK dvd isn't multi-region but I can play Lion Man on it. When I looked up regions on the internet about a year ago before OH brought the Lion Man. It said that the UK was region 2 & NZ was region 4 for but you can play some region 4 dvd's on region 2 players. Can't remember the sight I went on because it was so long ago, but Lion Man certainly works, but I don't know if UK dvd's would work in a NZ player.

I did have a multi-region player but I couldn't get another one when that broke.

I brought a cheap one recently at curry's for £20 will is easily changed to multi region the brand is Matsui(?) and am taking that with us.

I have brought many DVD's from NZ and they have played over here but my mum brought one over last xmas and it wouldn't play on our old UK DVD machine - not sure why.

I'm taking dvd's with us a lot of disney as the expense to replace is toooo much, I wounder if it is best to buy a really cheap one here and taking with us. Can anyone tell me if multi region dvd players are expensive in NZ would the uk ones would work on a multi, thanks again

Natasha

Nearly all the DVD players here are multi-region. A colleague just bought a Phillips player for $44 which when you consider that some films cost $40 on DVD...

I've ripped copies of ours using the PC. That way you can remove the region code, and have a disposable copy that won't make your eyes water when the kids scratch it. My kids are never allowed to touch the originals.

You need to get a region free DVD reader/ burner, though, but they are easy to find.

Smile

We have just brought a DVD player in NZ and was told it was multi region. When we got home it played some region 2 but a lot of the children's it didn't. Contacted shop and they were great, took it back and they loaned us a player while it was sent away to be de zoned. Didn't cost anything and was back in 4 days. Now it will play any thing from anywhere. I assume this could be done with any DVD player.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Nearly all the DVD players here are multi-region. A colleague just bought a Phillips player for $44 which when you consider that some films cost $40 on DVD...
    I'm not sure that I would agree that it is most, at best I would say that there are more here that are multi-region by default.

Quote Originally Posted by russetoak View Post
    We have just brought a DVD player in NZ and was told it was multi region. When we got home it played some region 2 but a lot of the children's it didn't. Contacted shop and they were great, took it back and they loaned us a player while it was sent away to be de zoned. Didn't cost anything and was back in 4 days. Now it will play any thing from anywhere. I assume this could be done with any DVD player.
    It would be interesting to see how they de-zoned it as most that can be changed are just done via the remote control (need to press a specific sequence of buttons).

If you are going to buy a DVD player then ask if it is multi-region and if not, ask if they have the codes to convert it and if not, check on the internet for the codes. If you can't get the codes, then don't bother with this DVD player as some are not changeable (without physically modifying them).

Some makes are harder than others e.g. Sony are not normally changeable.

It should also be noted, that some DVDs must have a specific region coded player to work so will not work in multi-region players. In those cases if your player can be changed via the remote control then you can just change the region to the required one just for playing this DVD.

And one final point, if you are buying DVDs in NZ then check on the region code as some shops sell DVDs from around the world so may not be region 4 as expected (of course this isn't normally a problem if you do have a multi-region player).

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast