Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emirates

Default Emirates

My wife and I are looking to do a rekkie/holiday on March/April from Manchester to Auckland and I've been checking prices out.

Emirates via Dubai is much cheaper at around £870

Singapore and air NewZealand are around £200 more expensive.

Any reason why we shouldn't go ahead with Emirates - Am I missing something - anything I ought to know?

Anyone flown this route?

any other advice for cheaper flights?

many thanks

MBK

I flew Emirates when i came over on my reccie last year. It's quite a long flight with a change in Dubai (why that place is there I'll never know- what will happen if someone forgets to pay the water bill, but I digress)- lots of gold to buy in the shopping area. The next bit usually has one or two stops for refuelling and a quick spruce up of the plane which means you get off with all your hand luggage and have to go through security again just to get back on. It's only an hour and a half or so to stretch your legs but it's most welcome so be able to use a loo you don't have to wedge yourself into (and out of). There are even showers if you're quick.
    The service was very good and the food lovely - I lost count of how many breakfasts we had crossing timezones etc. They just kept feeding us. The in-flight was good (saw Shrek 3 about 18 times on and off). It's a very long flight but I didn't feel it was in any way a 'budget' flight. I'd fly with them again. We flew Air New Zealand to get here which wasn't bad but watch the singing when you're using the headphones. OH nearly had me thrown off the plane.

thanks Lockstock

sounds fine to me - though nothing like any flight we've ever done before - 24 hours phew!

though we were thinking of not spending a night in Dubai but going straight through - hope that's not foolish but we want as much time as poss in NZ

gonna stay for 3wks but considering 4 weeks?? any views

thanks ppl

Just to add another plug for Emirates they are a great airline. They are also one of the few airlines in the world actually making money at the moment and have spent lots on new planes.

If you are coming out in March / April then the chances are you could possibly be on one of their brand new A380's (they start flying them to NZ in Jan/Feb).

As for Dubai it is a good place to stock up on duty free but the airport is a bit crowded at the moment (they are building a new terminal to ease it and are also building a whole new airport as well!).

With respect to the recce trip length I can't answer that one as we didn't bother!

You usually have to stop in either Brisbane or Melbourne as well as Dubai, as there are no direct flights from Dubai to NZ.

Emirates is an amazing airline, up there with SQ and CX as my favorite airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    You usually have to stop in either Brisbane or Melbourne as well as Dubai, as there are no direct flights from Dubai to NZ.
    And Singapore or Bangkok.

Great airline though. We didn't get bored on any of our 37 (I think) hour journeys from Durban to Auckland via Johannesburg, Dubai, Singapore, Brisbane. And that included three boys aged between 5 and 10.

I think many people choose to fly via North America since you get a bigger baggage allowance.

I flew with Emirates to Christchurch via Dubai (didn't originate in the UK though). It was a very comfortable flight. Service was great, was fed often and they had on demand entertainment. It was a pleasant flight.

I cannot compare to Singapore or Air NZ as I haven't flown long haul with them. But, Emirates is a world class airline and I was very happy with the flight with them.

Be aware that you will have to stop over in Australia (I went via Sydney) and will board another flight which will likely be an Air NZ plane copartnered with Emirates.

Quote Originally Posted by beanbeanz View Post
    Be aware that you will have to stop over in Australia (I went via Sydney) and will board another flight which will likely be an Air NZ plane copartnered with Emirates.
    I flew the Sydney to Auckland leg (flight originated in Dubai) on an Emirates plane, so it may depend on the flight number or time/day.

I was really pleased with Emirates too.

We emmigated on Emirates from Birmingham UK - Dubai. 3 hour stop over and be prepared for the wall of heat as you leave plan to catch bus to terminal
    Then flew to Sydney and 90 mins stopover whist they re fuelled and tarted up the plane then back on and onto Christchurch, Yahoo.

Very very happy with the flights and service and entertainment on board and had to stiffle laughter whilst listening to " Monty Python"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast