Thread: Relocating an old villa

Question Relocating an old villa

We have been offered a free house, yes free!! OK, it's rather old and in need of a lot of tarting up and it's an old villa. The reason its free is because the plot it's standing on is going to be built on and they need the old villa moved.

Does anyone have any advice about purchasing and/or moving an older house?? Its not something we had considered at all, and we know little about the process so any pointers would be gratefully recieved

Can't help I'm afraid Genie, but sounds fab!!!

I did see a programme not long ago where someone was moving a house on the back of a lorry and I think it was in NZ. They did manage to do it - big job though, but fantastic opportunity.

We've previously looked into this and found the guy at Laings (Grant) to be very helpful indeed. He even has a free booklet he sends out about the ins and outs of relocating a house.

Things to check:

- the number of pieces it will be cut into as this affects transport costs and the costs to reassemble etc
    - check that the section you are putting it on allows the house type and age you are getting. Some areas don't allow houses older than 20 yrs to be put on a section.

Website: http://www.laing.co.nz/cms/index.php...ng-relocations

We've been told to really, really check out the costs associated with renovating and reassembling once it's in place as they can often work out much much more than you'd anticipate. Also factor in the resource consents, pre-landscaping, driveways etc as the costs really mount up.

Still, there are some amazing bargains to be had - some lovely ones on Laing's site (gone now) which were about $30k delivered to within a 30km area.

You'll firstly need a site that has no covenants preventing the relocation of a dwelling, and you will then require building consent from the local council, as well as removal consent for the site on which the villa now stands (the developer probably has this).
    Chat to your council...find out how they will go about ascertaining the condition of the villa (whether they will accept a builder's report). They will also request plans for the villa, a site plan for the destination showing drainage plans, site location, foundations etc.
    Depending on the state and size of the villa it might actually be more cost and time effective to buy from a house removal company, as their services include most of the above issues.
    I am sure someone else will add some more info shortly...

Wow. How great would that be to do!

This has more potential excitement & interest about it than the house building threads. Not that aren't interesting, but this is a whole different ball game.

Would be really really interested to see this happen if you decide to go for it.

Yep, if you do it - we want photos and an interesting narrative!

(no pressure )

Cheers

Tia

Hey I've about this before, it usualy cost more to remove then the place is worth, that's what my Kiwi friends tell me

Hey thanks for the links and the info, that is really interesting to know.

We had a good look at the 'free' house and found it is basically falling apart, let along being taken apart for removal. Thought it sounded a bit too good to be true

Oh well, back to the newspapers and the fake photos of houses. How dare I say that? Because according to a local realtor who is selling the house next door to us, our property doesn't exist. They airbrushed us out of the photos

Amazing (shakes head in disbelief)