Thread: Glenfield, Auckland?

Default Glenfield, Auckland?

Havn't posted for a while as we've been travelling around in our campervan, but it looks like I'm going to be offered a job in Glenfield, Auckland, right next to the motorway and I'd like to know about the area.

Does anyone live near there? I'd like to know what areas are good to live and which are the closest, if I could maybe cycle into work? Also, which primary schools are good. We're also hoping to get away with only having 1 car and just wondered if this was possible?

Any help would be much appreciated....

Thanx

Glenfield has a lot of warehouse style shops (Wairau Park) and light industrial units so possibly not the most attractive place to live. However, as with most places on the shore there is no doubt a selection of nice streets somewhere.

Really you have most of the North Shore to chose from as Glenfield is in the middle. To give yo an idea it probably takes 15 - 20 mins to drive from the tip of Devonport, add on an extra 10 minutes in rush hour. There are definitely bike lanes coming from Devonport for most of the way, though its quite hilly - I don't cycle so you'll probably know best how to convert driving times to cycle times.

Takapuna and East Coast Bays (the largest being Browns Bay) will get you beach side living and have good primary schools. Albany is equally within reach and has more affordable and modern houses and although not beach side is still only 10 minute from a beach. I'm sure the Albany crew can let you know more.

We're a bit under-represented on this forum from the west side of the Shore but both Birkenhead Point and Northcote Point have some nice houses, although also have some less desirable areas.

The best way to get a shortlist, is to decide if you need to be coastal, want modern or old style houses and then work out a rental/house budget. You can then look at the property websites to see what is in your price range.

Also do a forum search for all the areas just mentioned, add on Bayswater, Birkenhead and Hauraki if you particularly fancy the peninsula but can't afford Takapuna or Devonport. And the other East Coast Bays are Campbells Bay and Castor Bay.

One word of warning the Shore has quite small plot sizes so if you are looking for a decent sized garden and privacy you either need big bucks or to look further North than Albany.

Overall, you will probably find budget will be the main thing which narows down your search - do you have a rental/house price in mind?

Cheers

Tia

We live in Rothesay Bay, it is only a 10 min drive to Albany and about 15 to glenfield. Lovely beaches close by, and not too far to the mega center, and the buses run frequently to Auckland CBD.

hth

hels

Thanks Tia for replying so quickly this morning. I didn't get a chance to post again earlier because it turned into a hectic day. I was offered another job in New Plymouth and had to decide between the two!!!...So, I've deicided to take the 1 in New Plymouth.

So thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Motleybeast View Post
    Thanks Tia for replying so quickly this morning. I didn't get a chance to post again earlier because it turned into a hectic day. I was offered another job in New Plymouth and had to decide between the two!!!...So, I've deicided to take the 1 in New Plymouth.

So thanks again.
    Nice to be wanted!

Now you'll just have to post a 'where to live in New Plymouth?' thread!

Cheers

Tia