Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing question - allowed to change a sink yourself?

Default Plumbing question - allowed to change a sink yourself?

Does anyone know if you are allowed to change a sink yourself (using the existing pipes) or do you have to get a registered plumber to do it? (I've been googling to try to find out, but can't seem to find the answer - it doesn't help that the rules have changed recently and that a lot of the stuff I'm finding about building consents etc is out of date as a result...)

I hope you are allowed, but did read somewhere that if it involves potable water then the answer is no. I'm guessing it depends on whether the taps are part of the sink or mounted on the wall and thus won't be touched. I'm sure Ian will be able to give us the low-down once he's on-line

I know you're allowed to change taps yourself, which suggests to me you should be able to change the sink, but I just can't find a definitive answer. But it's late - maybe I should worry about this in the morning!

hmmm, it would seem odd to me if you can't, i'll ask the family and get back to you!

Just out of interest - how would anyone know?

Hi Jo Jo. I just woke up hubby to ask him as he's a plumber. For changing a sink you don't need a registered plumber.

Great - thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw71 View Post
    Just out of interest - how would anyone know?
    Well, they wouldn't, I suppose, but it could be a problem if you came to sell your house and didn't have the relevant paperwork. But then, do plumbers give you certificates or whatever? I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    Well, they wouldn't, I suppose, but it could be a problem if you came to sell your house and didn't have the relevant paperwork. But then, do plumbers give you certificates or whatever? I don't know...
    Hmmm, I don't think this would ever be an issue. The sum total of relevant paperwork are the plans and consents which the local council have on their records. A replacement sink in the same position as the old one is going to be indistinguishable on a house plan. It isn't something you require a drainage plan for (as one should already be on council files) unlike the installation or moving of a laundry for example.

If you have an insurance claim resulting from leakage from this sink this might be a different matter, and if you did require a registered plumber to do the installation and you hadn't used one then your insurance company might not cover you for the damage.

But then, do plumbers give you certificates or whatever? I don't know...
    I asked when we had bathroom put in and they just said keep the receipts for insurance and guarantee purposes... so I'd be interested to know if we should have got certs. I did get a certificate for the electric towel rail and heater installed in bathroom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast