Thread: Budget, extended-stay places in Wellington?

Default Budget, extended-stay places in Wellington?

I'll do my own research, too, of course, but:

does anyone here have any particular tips about downtown or near-downtown Wellington "extended-stay" set-ups (usually suites, apartments or motels) where a family of 3 could stay for the first few weeks of setting things up? We're looking for something budget-priced that gets cheaper according to how many weeks you agree to stay, so that you end up paying way less than a regular hotel or similar. No-frills is fine (indeed, expected!)

Any ideas considered - bus or walking distance from downtown is fine.

Cheers,
    Matt.

We stayed in a motel outside of the city - I think it was about $95- per night - they did us a deal whilst we found a rental property - much cheaper! (luckily Ian's company kindly paid for it) - they put a microwave, toaster & kettle with cutlery in the room too for us - had big enough room for 4 people (2 adults & 2 kids) & there was a bar/restaurant actually in the hotel if you got bored of eating out. They also had kitchen rooms but we arrived in the school summer holidays so we didn't have a lot of choice!!!

Downtown will be a bit more expensive but shouldn't be too much more.

No particular tips, no.

Other than ..why don't you do a budget hotel for a few days & then rent somewhere?
    It shouldn't take more than a couple of days to find a decent rental property in Wellington. There's heaps.

Cheers, guys. Good advice.
    Matt.

I think the backpackers places in the city do cheaper prices the longer you stay, and from memory, a double room (en suite I think) was $50-$60 per night, but they also had family rooms and you get full use of the kitchen/lounge facilities etc.

There's a few large backpacker places in Welly - Downtown Backpackers, Base Backpackers (sometimes called X Base), Wildlife House and the YHA (you can also get a YHA card for 14 quid I think which gives you discount on the prices too). They're all smack in the middle of the city so dead handy for everything - might be worth a look if your not looking for all the frills... (in fact, the backpacker places are probably just as nice as some of the motels from what I've heard!)

Hope this helps.

Jod

Base is a great place fer sure. We stayed there for about 4 days when we first arrived in town. Rooms are around the $70/80 mark for private ones.

But, honestly, you'd be throwing money away if you did it for more than a week...get the Dominion Post , Saturday edition, as soon as you hit town & you'll have a place in no time.
    Expect to pay about $300-400 pw for a nice 2 bd apartment or house.