Thread: Private School teaching regulations in NZ

Default Private School teaching regulations in NZ

I was just wondering if every teacher in NZ has the same professional certificate or if it is different for public and private schools.

Here in the US some private schools do not require a teachers certificate.

Thanks

Mike

I don't think you'll find employment in either private or public sector without a teaching certificate. They do have an untrained teacher pay rate on the scale, but those are from the times where you didn't necessarily have to be registered to teach.

Depends what you mean by 'teach' as I'm working as a teacher aide despite not having any formal teaching qualifications/certificates.

Then again I am working at my son's school and was only approached ab out the role after a number of other mums turned the it down (it was initially only 4hrs a week).

The pay isn't brilliant but its now 13hrs that fits very conveniently around my DS's needs.

HTH

Anneliese

Quote Originally Posted by mgbridges View Post
    Depends what you mean by 'teach' as I'm working as a teacher aide despite not having any formal teaching qualifications/certificates.
    A Teacher Aide is a totally different position and they do not have the same legal responsibilities as a Teacher.