Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th November fireworks in Kapiti???

Default 5th November fireworks in Kapiti???

Hi everyone.
    This will be our first November in NZ, and I wondered if anyone knew of any firework displays /bonfires on the Kapiti Coast?

Also, where can we buy fireworks? I know the rules are much stricter here, and you can only buy them a few days before, but where from???!?!?

Thanks,
    J

I am sure theres a display somewhere, i know Wellington had a great one last year, if you fancied driving into town? They had fireworks set off from helicopters overhead even! I be down there again i hope.

No idea on buying them, but i think i saw local diary's with some last year, but i am sure it will become more obvious as we get closer. All i remember was yes they have stricter rules on buying them, but they seem incredibly relaxed on safety and public use! Petone foreshore last year was full of families that had drove down with there boxes of fireworks and just set them all off on the beach, the entire beach from one end to the other was just packed, with fireworks being set off in peoples hands, and loads just a few a feet away from families and children. And most not fully pushed into beach so many fell over and fired sideways. To be honest i had never seen such dangerous activities and amazed nobody was hurt. It would not even be legal in UK, as it would classed as public place and illegal.

So on the one hand to me, they have strict rules on when you can buy them, and what you can buy (think cheap poor fireworks, no decent ones i saw on sale). But on the other hand they seem to have no rules or regard for public safety in there use. I stick to Wellingtons main public display i think.

PS: Dont expect any bonfires or "traditional" displays like torch processions etc. Over here it is merely "fireworks night", i got funny looks when i mentioned bonfires and "torchlight processions etc" last year. Which me coming from Sussex and its traditional bonfire boys and set customs etc was a shame.

I know you asked Kapati, but heres Wellingtons spectacular display if you fancy a drive?
    http://www.wotzon.com/eventlisting.h...ent_id=5009537

I don't see any on the Kapiti events calendar, but we're in the hills, and we always see them from the weekend before to the weekend after - mostly down at the beach - with a big cluster at Param. Not as big as you'd see in Welly though. It looks nice from the hills but much of that is individuals setting them off all over the coast.

I don't actually know where to get them, but they're only available from Nov. 2nd to the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara Croft View Post
    Hi everyone.
    This will be our first November in NZ, and I wondered if anyone knew of any firework displays /bonfires on the Kapiti Coast?

Also, where can we buy fireworks? I know the rules are much stricter here, and you can only buy them a few days before, but where from???!?!?

Thanks,
    J
    Don't know of any on the Kapiti coast but there are 3 that I know of around the Wellington region of which the one posted by Leccy-Lee is no doubt the best.

You will be able to buy fireworks from many places from the 2nd till the 5th November. Shops such as New World and the Warehouse will have really big displays of fireworks that you won't be able to miss.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Leccy-Lee View Post
    PS: Dont expect any bonfires or "traditional" displays like torch processions etc. Over here it is merely "fireworks night", i got funny looks when i mentioned bonfires and "torchlight processions etc" last year. Which me coming from Sussex and its traditional bonfire boys and set customs etc was a shame.
    I've not seen any torch processions in the UK either, so not too bothered about them.

We went to the Upper Hutt fireworks a couple of years ago and that was a better familiy event than the Wellington display with a bit more of a carnival spirit.

Now the bad news is that this is scheduled for 1st November and you are busy that night so better hope for rain (it will be rescheduled for 2nd in that case).

Ian

Wow - that was quick, thanks all!

IanW99, what's happening on the 1st November???

J

Quote Originally Posted by Lara Croft View Post
    Wow - that was quick, thanks all!

IanW99, what's happening on the 1st November???

J
    Well for Leccy-Lee, he is going to watch the Feelers in concert at Paraparam.

For others, they could go to the Upper Hutt fireworks display.

Ian

Expect to see fireworks on sale in the warehouse

Default Saturday 15th November Kenakena Fireworks Fiesta

Yes there is every year at Lara's school also a large fund raiser for the school

Saturday the 15th November very well organised plenty of things to do before the display aswell.

Gates open at 5pm Kenakena School Donovan Road if any one is interested.

Jackie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast