Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to dispose of a broken Dishwasher

Question How to dispose of a broken Dishwasher

Can anyone tell me how you go about getting rid of broken dishwasher?
    It wasn't that broken till OH moved it & snapped the handle that you use to open it with otherwise I would have put it on trademe but we find it just dowsn't clean that well, anyway how do I go about getting rid as I don't think it will fit in my car?
    Many thanks

I see plenty of broken things on trademe actually.
    Could always give it a try.

Otherwise isn't there a day to put out large unwanted items for garbage (or neighbors!) collection? Might check with your local council to see if they offer a haul away service if nothing else.

Some electrical stores will trade in your old dishwasher when you purchase a new one or we took ours to the dump ! The store where we bought ours would have taken away our old one for nothing as well

The reason it came out was because we had our nice silver one from the UK sitting in the garage!
    I think I'll give trade me a go, be funny to see if anyone wants it, someone bought our hidious (sp?) ceiling lights

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    Can anyone tell me how you go about getting rid of broken dishwasher?
    Well if you do want to dispose of it in the end...

You can check with your local council to see what they offer.

For example, our council states "Two (free) collections per household, per year are available and need to be booked in advance. Items will be collected within 2-3 weeks of booking."

Not sure which council you are under otherwise I would find the details for you

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Well if you do want to dispose of it in the end...

You can check with your local council to see what they offer.

For example, our council states "Two (free) collections per household, per year are available and need to be booked in advance. Items will be collected within 2-3 weeks of booking."

Not sure which council you are under otherwise I would find the details for you

Ian
    We are under Wellington but I searched & couldn't fine anything, will need a back up in case no one wants it

I think Trash Palace at the Spicer Road landfill site in Porirua would take it off your hands, and they may well make use of the spares or even be able to repair it well enough that they can sell it on.
    For those who don't know of it, Trash Palace is a recycling centre which encourages people who would have dumped stuff to rather drop it off with them, where they resell it. It's all part of Porirua's zero waste plan, and even Trash Palace's building is made from recycled materials and is designed to benefit from passive heating etc. They take school groups through and educate them about the benefits of recycling (and the flipside...which is the ultimate hazards of not recycling).
    A worthy cause, and a great effort by the Porirua City Council. I sometimes hear criticism of the apparent "greeness" of NZ and the fact that it isn't nearly as green in reality, but in my own experience and observation there is plenty of effort and awareness of the need for environmental consideration here, and proactive steps being taken to address it. Well done (New Zealand).

Quote Originally Posted by ourquest View Post
    I think Trash Palace at the Spicer Road landfill site in Porirua would take it off your hands, and they may well make use of the spares or even be able to repair it well enough that they can sell it on.
    For those who don't know of it, Trash Palace is a recycling centre which encourages people who would have dumped stuff to rather drop it off with them, where they resell it. It's all part of Porirua's zero waste plan, and even Trash Palace's building is made from recycled materials and is designed to benefit from passive heating etc. They take school groups through and educate them about the benefits of recycling (and the flipside...which is the ultimate hazards of not recycling).
    A worthy cause, and a great effort by the Porirua City Council. I sometimes hear criticism of the apparent "greeness" of NZ and the fact that it isn't nearly as green in reality, but in my own experience and observation there is plenty of effort and awareness of the need for environmental consideration here, and proactive steps being taken to address it. Well done (New Zealand).
    Thanks for that, Trade Me first then will look give them a call before I go down another route, may have to beg & borrow a friends car

Can't help with disposal but just to say our dishwasher, from the UK, doesn't clean as well over here as it did an everything comes out really wet. Don't know if its not using salt or whether thats what happen to dishwashers when they get old. It really gets on my nerves though!

Anyone else found that with a dishwasher they bought over?

Cheers

Tia

How to dispose of a broken Dishwasher

Divorce?

On a serious note, dishwashers from UK have a section in the floor for salt wheras NZ ones don't. This may make a slight difference. We find our dishdrawer cleans beautiful but someone we know who brought their dishwasher from UK finds it does not clean very well and it is only a year old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast