Thread: Cost or running a car?

Default Cost or running a car?

I understand the WOF has to be renewed every 6 or 12 months. (Is this like our MOT?)

I'm confused about the registration process. Does the car have to be registered every 6 or 12 months also, or is it a one-off payment when buying the car? (What exactly is this?)

What then is vehicle licensing? (Is this like our Road Tax?)

Does a car owner have to pay all of the above every year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_UK View Post
    I understand the WOF has to be renewed every 6 or 12 months. (Is this like our MOT?)

I'm confused about the registration process. Does the car have to be registered every 6 or 12 months also, or is it a one-off payment when buying the car? (What exactly is this?)

What then is vehicle licensing? (Is this like our Road Tax?)

Does a car owner have to pay all of the above every year?
    WOF = Warrant of Fitness, as you say like an MOT, cars less than 6 years have to have one done every 12 months, older vehicles need a WOF every 6 months.

You only register the first time (which also includes the vehicle license), from then on you pay only the vehicle license which again as you say is like the UK Road Tax and is paid every 12 months. You may hear people say that they are going to pay for their reggo but in fact they are paying the vehicle license.

If you have a diesel vehicle then there is also Road User Charges (RUC).

Ian

Quite similar to UK then.

Thanks Ian

You can opt to pay licencing for anything between 3 and 12 months at a time. You might opt for 3 months if you were about to sell the car, for example. A typical cost for a family car might be just over $200 for 12 months, of which about 1/4th is the licencing fee and 3/4ths is the contribution to the ACC (effectively accident medical and compensation insurance).