Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: flights from los Angeles

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    765

    Default flights from los Angeles

    Hi ive booked flights for me and son for end November via LA.
    We are going on a visitors visa so ive just checked on line for the baggage allowance 2 piece up to 23kg EACH (50lbs) could someone tell me that i have read this correct as my son can take same as me so that means the total weight is 92 kg have i picked this up wrong and at LA im sure their has been problems with people with luggage on the forum.
    I would so grateful for any information as the extra weight would be great thanks for any info
    Natasha

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh-London-Auckland
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Can someone also clarify the suitcase sizes, I cannot create a visual idea in my head of the size looking at the website. Are we talking two average medium sized cases or two average large cases? I know large will be dangerous due to the risk of easily overpacking (done this before) but I just want an idea what the sizes are.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    36,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 925dancer View Post
    Can someone also clarify the suitcase sizes, I cannot create a visual idea in my head of the size looking at the website. Are we talking two average medium sized cases or two average large cases? I know large will be dangerous due to the risk of easily overpacking (done this before) but I just want an idea what the sizes are.
    Sorry, but you're asking how long is a piece of string! You could have a briefcase that would go over the weight limit if you put nothing but heavy books in it, or the biggest suitcase sold that wouldn't tip their scales if full of polystyrene granules.

    Also, you have to bear in mind the construction of the case - some are much heavier than others, even though that doesn't necessarily make them stronger.

    But for what it's worth, my case is the large kind, and I managed to take what I needed for a five-and-a-half-week stay, and not go over the 20 kg limit for going via HK (I did have to be choosy about what I decided to have along, though.)

    Also for what it's worth, can I recommend this gadget? http://www.balanzza.co.uk/ MUCH easier than trying to balance everything on the bathroom scales and trying to discount how much you have to nudge it to make it stay on there, etc..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    France - UK - NZ (Auckland)
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty69 View Post
    Hi ive booked flights for me and son for end November via LA.
    We are going on a visitors visa so ive just checked on line for the baggage allowance 2 piece up to 23kg EACH (50lbs) could someone tell me that i have read this correct as my son can take same as me so that means the total weight is 92 kg have i picked this up wrong and at LA im sure their has been problems with people with luggage on the forum.
    I would so grateful for any information as the extra weight would be great thanks for any info
    Natasha

    Hiya Scotty69,

    Assuming you are flying with Air New Zealand, children are entitled to the same allowance as adults, so your son will be able to carry 2 bags at 23 kilos each One of the bags could be over 23 of course but no more than 32 for health and safety reasons

    Hope this helps,

    Jen

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh-London-Auckland
    Posts
    225

    Default

    What I meant when I asked about size is they have maximum dimensions/size of suitcase you are allowed, not weight.

    I know what the weight restrictions are, I just wanted an idea on the dimensions, don't want to get to the airport and be told, sorry love, your suitcase is too tall, wide, fat, thin, whatever. I'm pretty sure it would be difficult to overdo it but just wanted a general idea.

    That gadget looks brilliant, could have done with one of those last time!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    87

    Default

    The restrictions vary a bit by airline so be sure to check with their website or give them a call for clarification, but most are along these lines:

    Total Length+Height+Width of each piece must be under 62". That's a pretty good sized suitcase, or a standard steamer trunk. Get a tape measure and look at what you have for a reference. The closer the case you pick is to a cube, the more efficiently it will use up that 62" so if you have a lot of large, light items stay away from tall skinny bags.

    There's usually an additional requirement that both bags be under 106", but I was well over that when I came in on Quantas. The simply put each piece on the scale and pushed it through when they saw it was under the weight limit. They opposite was true with my carry-on - it was never weighed, but if I had brought one that was oversized I probably would have been required to check it.

    As others mentioned, the requirement is per person and assuming your son has a regular ticket he should get the normal allowance.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    36,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 925dancer View Post
    What I meant when I asked about size is they have maximum dimensions/size of suitcase you are allowed, not weight.

    I know what the weight restrictions are, I just wanted an idea on the dimensions, don't want to get to the airport and be told, sorry love, your suitcase is too tall, wide, fat, thin, whatever. I'm pretty sure it would be difficult to overdo it but just wanted a general idea.

    That gadget looks brilliant, could have done with one of those last time!
    Oh, I see. Air NZ only give dimensions for hand luggage. Is that who you're flying with?

    I've just treated myself to one of the luggage scales, as I flew to Scotland on a course last week. Excellent! - no more worrying when approaching checkin.

    Interestingly, the X-Ray machine at Glasgow was more picky than the one at Southampton. I walked straight through the S'ton one, but the Glasgow one bleeped for the same reading glasses, watch and wired bra (the only metal on me both times), so I got patted down.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Hi thanks for the info was told it was Air New Zealand till i got an e-mail after booking that we would be flying with virgin to LA and NZ from LA to Auckland the to Welly i have checked bagguge with both airlines both say the same i was just making sure that i had not miss read that 23kg EACH for up to 2 cases each
    Thank you for the info
    Natasha

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Blenheim NZ
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Speaking as one who travels with an instrument case which only gets onto the aircraft as carry on 40% of the time.... For those of you flying out of major centres to smaller provincial airports be aware that teh carry on restriction can be very tight. They may take your bag from you at the steps and put it in a separate hold so pack your important papers and hand carried valuables in a small enough bag to get it onto the plane.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Coromandel peninsula - ex UK
    Posts
    1,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Oh, I see. Air NZ only give dimensions for hand luggage. Is that who you're flying with?
    If you fly via LAX, Air NZ gives dimensions for checked in luggage, too:

    Under this piece system, each piece of baggage should have total dimensions (length + width + height) no greater than 158cm (62").
    Info can be found here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •