Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Coats

Default Winter Coats

I know that all you NZ residents will not be thinking about coats for winter but it has turned a bit chilly in the old country so was thinking of investing in a new coat, then remembered that all going to plan should be in Auckland next winter so what type of coat would you recommend for the Auckland area. Any advice ? Do I need a proper thick winter coat is what I am asking I suppose.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenchilli View Post
    Do I need a proper thick winter coat is what I am asking I suppose.
    Thanks
    Not as you know it.
    I arrived here with winter coats which would never have gotten worn out.
    my daughter has a ski jacket she wears to rugby games and when she goes to invercargill in winter. The rest of the time it takes up space.
    My Barbour was too warm.

Perhaps a mid weight jacket??

OH had a nice wool coat when he was there in wellington... I'm used to the Florida weather so I'm going to be freezing! Jackets and sweaters are all i've been thinking about!

I was in Auckland in winter in '07. We had ALL sorts of weather, sometimes within the same half-hour! We'd been advised to have lots of layers to put and take. Some of the time I was peeled off to shirt-sleeves, and other times I had everything piled on, and everything in between. Two things - I sometimes felt very cold in my legs, and bought some tights to wear under my trousers, and also, the night falls very suddenly at around 6 p.m., with next to no twilight, and any heat there has been in the day just GOES, with the light.

I heard Auckland is not a very cold place and so medium jackets should do very well... Is that right? What about Hamilton?

OH and I will be in NZ early next year and we are already shopping for woolens and jackets! although i'm sure we wont be able to wear them till June! Overkill huh?

Quote Originally Posted by deepthir View Post
    I heard Auckland is not a very cold place and so medium jackets should do very well... Is that right?
    Well that's what they'd like to believe... It's called 'national climate denial'

I would bring everything, and then see for yourself what it feels like. It is true that it quickly gets warm when (if) the sun comes out, but yes, there was frost even in Auckland this winter (with some car window scraping...), and if there isn't the sun and just a bit of wind, it can feel rather nippy.

Temperatures were in the single digits here in May, up until lunchtime on some days, not just in the dead of night.

What I have found though is that I needed a lot of warm clothes for inside rather than outside, so jumpers, cardigans, socks, either wool or this wool/possum mix they do here has served me well inside. Not as much at home, but at work.

Daniela

I live in Auckland and don't own a winter coat. I survive with layers and a big cardigan during the winter. I also didn't see any frost this year, so either I get up too late, or Ponsonby has it's own microclimate!

I think it's more important to have a good waterproof than a warm coat. Something with GoreTex, and that is fairly long (to cover your thighs somewhat).
    I own a polar fleece but always in winter found that if I started doing anything strenuous like, say, walking in a straight line for 5 minutes, I'd just get way, way too hot. Contrast this with being a shivering wreck last December in the UK whilst kitted up in my Russian great coat.
    I think you can survive all seasons with just 3 thin layers of merino wool (layer on, layer off, depending on conditions) and a good waterproof.
    If you live inland, or in the South, however, you may well need something warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    I also didn't see any frost this year, so either I get up too late, or Ponsonby has it's own microclimate!
    Maybe it was just us out East...

Of course I had to make a big production out of it and write things in the ice on the windscreen, because one of the things I had been promised when moving here was no frost!

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by Potato View Post
    I think it's more important to have a good waterproof than a warm coat. Something with GoreTex, and that is fairly long (to cover your thighs somewhat).
    Yep.......keep out the TORRENTIAL rain and wind and it doesn't feel so cold here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast