Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One way tickets

Question One way tickets

Hi, we're finally on our way, but have only booked one way tickets because we got a brilliant deal on NZ Airlines.

From other posts, I'm now worried about getting through customs as we're going on a normal holiday visa from UK and hoping to get jobs and visa's organised once we're there.

OH was previously offered 2 jobs and I was told there would be a job available when I arrived by another company so we're not worried about getting jobs, but will we get in?

Many thanks, B

If you're coming on visitors visa's, then you need a return ticket. AFAIK.
    Or proof of onward travel out of NZ.

Nick.

Do you now what kind of proof they will need. We are experienced sailors and if we couldn't find work in NZ, we'd try and catch a lift on a boat to Australia. Our fallback would be that we'd buy tickets to fly to Sydney, but we wouldn't buy the tickets unless we couldn't get a lift.

Would it be good enough to explain that to the customs?

Thanks, B

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyb View Post
    Do you now what kind of proof they will need. We are experienced sailors and if we couldn't find work in NZ, we'd try and catch a lift on a boat to Australia. Our fallback would be that we'd buy tickets to fly to Sydney, but we wouldn't buy the tickets unless we couldn't get a lift.

Would it be good enough to explain that to the customs?

Thanks, B
    I very much doubt it.

Proof would be a ticket out of NZ.
    Can you cancel your one ways and get a refundable return?
    Or cheap ticket to OZ, then cancel and get money back?

Nick.

You will not get in with a one way ticket on a visitors passport. we had PR and still had a job convincing Singapore Air to let us fly with a one way ticket. After contacting New Zealand Immigration they let us fly.I do wish airlines would give better info when flying with one way tickets. They should explain this to you before they sell you a one way ticket.

Just seen your other post. it is the check in desk at the UK airport who decide whether or not to allow you to fly, not customs.You won't get as far as that.

Quote Originally Posted by NikT View Post
    If you're coming on visitors visa's, then you need a return ticket. AFAIK.
    Or proof of onward travel out of NZ.

Nick.
    This is correct Nick....this is from the NZIS site.........

Proof that you plan to leave New Zealand
    You will need to show us proof that you have plans and the means to leave within the period of your permit. Suitable proof may include:

actual travel tickets (confirmed or open-dated) out of New Zealand to a country which you have the right to enter; or
    written confirmation from an airline or travel agency that onward travel has been booked and paid for.
    This is for those on a visitors visa. I don't think they'd let you go onto Australia.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Sue
    xx

You won't get past the check-in desk at the UK airport, let alone onto the plane with a one-way ticket if you're only coming in on a visitors' visa. The airlines have to bear the charge of sending you back to your destination if you are not eligible to get into the country you want to fly to, hence the fact that they don't let you onto the plane unless you have all the right paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Derv View Post
    You won't get past the check-in desk at the UK airport, let alone onto the plane with a one-way ticket if you're only coming in on a visitors' visa. The airlines have to bear the charge of sending you back to your destination if you are not eligible to get into the country you want to fly to, hence the fact that they don't let you onto the plane unless you have all the right paperwork.
    Spot on

I wouldn't personnally recommend the "outward" ticket to Oz as if you get a picky check in agent, they could ask you for your Oz electronic visa (if you' have a UK passport) or an outward ticket from Oz, if you are flying on the same carrier. My younger sister came to visit me last August and because she had a entry ticket to NZ and outward from Auckland to Sydney and back to the USA, they asked her if she had an Oz visa when she checked in in LA and checked her in once they were satisfied she could leave both countries.

A lot of airlines have become more strict when it comes to one way tickets and visas, they don't want to get fined by NZIS for letting people with the wrong type of visa board the aircraft.

Jen

Question One way ticket-more proof even with PR?

[QUOTE=Caroline and Dave;257300]You will not get in with a one way ticket on a visitors passport. we had PR and still had a job convincing Singapore Air to let us fly with a one way ticket. After contacting New Zealand Immigration they let us fly.

I'm curious to know why you would have trouble convincing the airlines to let you fly on a one way ticket when you had PR. We are leaving in early January for Christchurch. I have PR and the rest of the family have NZ passports. Do I need to do something else to assure no troubles with the airline?
    Thank you.

[QUOTE=ljrobin;257348]
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline and Dave View Post
    You will not get in with a one way ticket on a visitors passport. we had PR and still had a job convincing Singapore Air to let us fly with a one way ticket. After contacting New Zealand Immigration they let us fly.

I'm curious to know why you would have trouble convincing the airlines to let you fly on a one way ticket when you had PR. We are leaving in early January for Christchurch. I have PR and the rest of the family have NZ passports. Do I need to do something else to assure no troubles with the airline?
    Thank you.
    OH and I also had problems with Singapore Airlines in London in regards to their migrant luggage allowance...which was sorted out but their check in agent didn't seem to know what a PR visa was or looked like and had to ask for help because I was going on a one way ticket (OH has an NZ passport)

I'm not sure if it's still the case but Singapore Air's check in at London was done by contractors and not by the airline itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast