Thread: travel insurance for trip back to UK

Default travel insurance for trip back to UK

Anyone know if it's possible to get cut-down travel insurance for a trip back to the UK.

I've only been away 7 months so I think I'm still entitled to the NHS in case of a medical emergency, but I'm having a hard time finding a policy that just covers cancellation, missed connections and luggage cover.

Any ideas?

Default travel insurance

With some banks (we bank with asb) if you have a gold credit card travel insurance is free if you buy your tickets on card .We found out the above after we had booked our tickets recently ,we have found varying prices so shop around prices we got ranged from $850to $450 for a month july /aug 09 .We are doing it with state 0800802424 hope this helps most insurance companies do travel insurance

southern cross were cheapest for us and best policy too

Quote Originally Posted by lnz View Post
    Anyone know if it's possible to get cut-down travel insurance for a trip back to the UK.

I've only been away 7 months so I think I'm still entitled to the NHS in case of a medical emergency, but I'm having a hard time finding a policy that just covers cancellation, missed connections and luggage cover.

Any ideas?
    Note if you are from the UK and lived there for more than 10 years, you will always be entitled to free NHS.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...rom_abroad.htm

Also anyone who is a Resident\Citizen of NZ is entitled to NHS care (and Visa Versa) as part of a reciporcal agreement, which basically says you will be treated same as a resident.

OH had a back op when here on holiday and we payed nothing, not even charges for x-rays etc. Also MIL hurt her arm will on holiday and, as it happened here, she got free physio payed for by ACC.
    Last edited by bobo; 9th July 2009 at 12:28 PM.

I'm on holiday in the UK at the moment, and I took out travel insurance with http://www.directtravelinsurance.co.nz/. I used them last year, too, following a recommendation in this thread. I chose them because they were cheap (just over $100 for a month's cover (I can't remember the exact amount, now), the cover was as good as I needed it to be, it could all be arranged online, and laptops are included in the cover as standard.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo View Post
    Note if you are from the UK and lived there for more than 10 years, you will always be entitled to free NHS.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...rom_abroad.htm

Also anyone who is a Resident\Citizen of NZ is entitled to NHS care (and Visa Versa) as part of a reciporcal agreement, which basically says you will be treated same as a resident.

OH had a back op when here on holiday and we payed nothing, not even charges for x-rays etc. Also MIL hurt her arm will on holiday and, as it happened here, she got free physio payed for by ACC.
    Thanks for that, I wasn't sure how it worked.

Bob

That's all good ;o)

At least I know I won't need to be cagey if I do need medical treatment.

Travelinsurancedirect are quoting just over $100 - pretty good for almost a month's cover.

On a slightly related note - how do I 'rep' for such good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lnz View Post
    On a slightly related note - how do I 'rep' for such good advice.
    You click onto the symbol showing a pair of scales, above and to the right of the post.

Southern Cross was the best for us last month on a 3wk trip to UK