Thread: Garden Furniture

Default Garden Furniture

Hi,

Finally got our own pad, so looking to buy some furniture to start enjoying the garden.

Q1: Should we go for wood? Or Aluminium/Glass? (We are quite lazy, and with 2 young kids won't want to do much more than wipe clean etc).

Q2: Where can we buy some for a reasonable price? Warehouse? Smiths City? ANO? (we are in CHCH)

Ta,

Lou

I prefer wooden furniture for it's sturdiness in outdoor Canterbury. We bought a small glass/chrome set (cheap) when we first arrived and it was smashed by being blown over in the winds at our rental in Sumner.

We've had our solid wooden set, from Bunnings, for 3 yrs now and apart from needing a rub down this year it's been great. I suspect glass/chrome is going to be better if you want a wipe clean surface, wood not kept well could stain.

Check Trademe for bargains, too, plus all the places you already mentioned.

I would say you are best going for aluminium/glass as with wood you will have to treat it every couple of years and it needs a bit more care than just a wipe down to keep it looking good.Also make sure you get one with a fairly heavy glass top to stop it blowing away in the wind.
    We are getting our table and chairs from Bunnings as they have a good range in our local store and reasonably priced but others include warehouse, Mitre 10.
    Last edited by Dave in NZ; 5th November 2008 at 04:32 PM.

We went for wood and have had to oil it twice due to the strong sun here but it looks good and doesn't blow about in the wind like some can

Also have a look in K-Mart and Briscoes, not sure if you have them in the South Island.

Elaine (Kim39 OH)

We got ours off Trade Me - wood. I think it looks nicer.

Thanks guys .. I'm more confused than ever now.

We had a bit of damage to our furniture, so just submitting a claim to PSS. Hope to get something back, and that will go into the kitty for the garden furniture - although it sounds as though maybe a trip to Bunnings is on the cards?

Lou

A couple more shops that sell outside furniture are Harvey Normans and the BBQ Factory.

Ian

I have seen a lovely wooden set advertised by the bbqfactory .... for $499 - but couldn't find it on their website.

Quite fancy the idea of wood, and if it's just a case of restaining / oil once a year or so, we can probably cope with that. (or rather, hubby can )

Not the cheapest option to buy but if you look around local to you you might find a teak importer. There is one in Auckland that sells all their stuff discount. Un-oiled teak will just silver in the sun and you don't need to oil/vanish it ever. If it gets beetroot juice on it or similar take a bit of fine sand paper and sand the top layer off. It will be a new teak colour underneath for a few weeks until it silvers. It won't blow away, get damaged by the sun (apart from silvering which is the colour it's meant to be) and is virtually rot prof. We have had ours out uncovered all yr on out very sunny sea exposed front deck for nearly 2 yrs and it looks the same as it did 3 months after we brought it, (the time it took to fully silver). As said it's an expensive option to buy but it should last you a life time. The key it to look for un-oiled teak and let nature treat it for you rather than oiled which you will need to redo.
    P.S any thing metal gets really hot in the sun, says she who burnt her backside on the neighbours metal chairs last summer.
    Debbie