Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theme Parks & Rollercoasters...

Default Theme Parks & Rollercoasters...

I know that there are many different ways of getting an adrenaline rush in NZ, but my family are particularly keen on theme park rides - especially big rollercoasters.

After a quick search for theme parks in NZ, the only major one I've found seems to be "Rainbow's End" in Manukau. If you've visited there, how does it compare (size, number of rides, type of rides) to the major UK theme parks like Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, etc.?

Are there any other similar theme parks (with decent rollercoasters) elsewhere in NZ?

Cheers!
    Pete

not sure we are like you big on theme parks so when we saved a bit we intend to hit the gold coast in OZ also west coast of the states you can not beat 6 flags we went 10 years ago to the states and did 15 rollercoasters in 14 days not bad uh!

Hmm.. Rainbows end is rather small in comparison to the likes of Alton towers...

If you look on the website http://www.rainbowsend.co.nz/ you can see a plan of the park and how many rides it has etc.

I have only been to the little Cadbury world bit with my toddler, but the rest of it didnt look that big. I am sure there must be some more roller coasters, somewhere....

Rhys Darby (Flight of the Conchords), does a comedy sketch mocking NZ's small theme park - like you say I think the kiwis prefer zorbing, bungee jumping etc.

A good suggestion by Janey, the Gold Coast has some great theme parks and is only a short (albeit expensive) flight away.

Cheers

Tia

Rainbow's End is horribly small and the rides are rubbish. A friend wanted to go for her birthday and to be honest I was quite annoyed at spending $44 on such a terrible place!
    In comparison to the UK, I would say RE is about the size of one of the 'lands' at Chessington or is about the same size as Paulton's Park (if you know of that one).

I'd either factor in a trip to the Gold Coast, or arrive in NZ via west coast LA and get in some decent rides there first.

We as a family love theme parks and something we miss. So on our trip back the UK this year Alton Towers was on the list.

My mum came with us (to squeeze in as much time seeing us!), and as we were at funny enough the rapid ride said "do you have things like this in NZ?" (meaning the park) to which I replied "no we just have the real things" (meaning the rapids)

Jani d

Ahh ummm, shall i come out of the Coaster closet.....

One thing i never really mentioned on this forum, is i was and suppose still am (albeit inactive) a Rollercoaster Freak, and by that i dont just mean i liked them as most people do. I have been on 2-3 documentaries and involved in 3 world records (2 that we got) in riding coasters (all since been beaten sadly, /cry). I am an active member in the worlds three largest rollercoaster anoraks clubs, and indeed i used to be the webmaster and forum admin for the Rollercoaster Club of Great Britian. I used to travel to the USA just for a long weekend to ride the "newest" coasters etc. On four occasions we done three week driving tours of Europe and visited some 20ish theme parks in those three weeks. I am the sort of rollercoaster nutter that can tell you what year and who built and designed each ride, all the stats and records etc etc.

My best buddy an I was in 2005 making an attempt at riding every rollercoaster in the UK within 7days as a world record. But sponsers pulled out the last minute, even though the BBC was still interested (its actually over 100 rollercoasters and soome 40-50 locations, we had 5 drivers and 3 cars lined up and some theme parks letting is in especially at nightime to accomplish it). Sadly it fell through, i would still love to give that one a go!

So yep its safe to say i am an anorak on that front! All my mates and club friends all said "New Zealand? what the hell, you giving up your passion for riding the worlds coasters now lee".. So i suppose i have really, I miss my summer of rides and coasters each weekend.

For anyone interested my "coastercount" (as us anoraks call it) stands at 278 different rollercoasters ridden, in 16 different countries. I could never match my friend and club chairmans count of some 500+ different coasters.......
    Last edited by Leccy-Lee; 6th November 2008 at 06:37 PM.

Lee, you sad sack... bet you had a blast doing all that riding though...

Hubby went on the really old one at Luna Park in melbourne last year... he loved it depsite the fact its not really a thrill ride, more a bit of retro!

I used to love 'em too... not been one in ages though...

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
    Lee, you sad sack...
    Now thats why i never mentioned my "anorak-ness" in 2-3 years on this forum!

Luna Park, that would one of the worlds only original Scenic Railways (circa 1910-1920 i believe) , of which there are only a handful still about. One of course of was my fav at Margate, which is still hoping for repair following fire damage earlier in year. Another in the UK is great yarmouth, but the best original style scenic railway i found was some small random theme park in Denmark one cold and frosty morning in october!

/grabs his anorak and calls a taxi

Southsea's Mighty Mouse?

Do I get Coaster points for going up with the priest on one of the first Pepsi Max Big One trips while he blessed it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast