Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martinborough

Talking Martinborough

Hi Everyone, I have just got a job in Martinborough and am looking for info about the area. Masterton, Greytown, Carterton, Etc.
    We have two teenagers and should arrive Wellington on the 1st of Jan 09

oh it's soo pretty there! Well... all of NZ seems to be...

Congratulations

Do you mind me asking what the job is ?

We live in Greytown. It's a great area, very quiet and some beautiful countryside, but I could be biased

Martinborough itself is a very quiet town, until weekends when the Wellingtonians head over. It's 20 minutes to Greytown, Featherston from there. Featherston is by far the cheapest property wise, Greytown can be quite expensive, there are also quite a few second home owners who come over for weekends and holidays.

Secondary schools are Kuranui in Greytown and then Masterton for Chanel College, Rathkeale (posh boys boarding school), Solway (girl's school), Wairarapa College.

All have good reputations, I'm pretty sure there's a bus that goes from Martinborough into to Kuranui.

HTH

PM me if you need any further help

Hi
    Kathy is a teacher and starting at Martinborough in Feb at the start of term 1.
    We think that we are going to look at Greytown or Carterton, but who knows.
    I have just written to the two Colleges re our son, so we will see what they come back with,
    Our daughter is 19 so having a year out and then to Uni in NZ
    Fred

I'm very jealous - please save some wine for me!

Seriously, Martinborough is a lovely quiet little town, as already said, apart from summer weekends when people come over to visit the wineries. Martinborough IMO makes the best red wine in the country, and I'd quite happily live there!

Default The Wine

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I'm very jealous - please save some wine for me!

Seriously, Martinborough is a lovely quiet little town, as already said, apart from summer weekends when people come over to visit the wineries. Martinborough IMO makes the best red wine in the country, and I'd quite happily live there!
    You wont belive this, but Kathy hates the stuff. Thank God I can make up for her. How many Vineyards can I stagger to in a day ?
    Fred

my folks have a house in greytown (they're slowly making the move from the family house in welly) and it's really nice. the main street has some very good cafes, and nice little boutique-y shops. martinborough is great, too. as has been mentioned, both towns are quiet until the weekends when the city people pop over for a day out..

I worked for Martinborough Vineyard for nearly a year, about 9 years ago. The place is alright, I can't help thinking that its popularity is purely because of the wine, there is certainly nothing else about the place that is remarkable.

You will end up having to do most shopping, etc in Masterton, so if you can locate yourself to make this an easy trip then so much the better. You may even end up getting a job there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick88 View Post
    I worked for Martinborough Vineyard for nearly a year, about 9 years ago. The place is alright, I can't help thinking that its popularity is purely because of the wine, there is certainly nothing else about the place that is remarkable.

You will end up having to do most shopping, etc in Masterton, so if you can locate yourself to make this an easy trip then so much the better. You may even end up getting a job there.
    We are probably going to live in Masterton, or close. Two teenagers would probably go out of their minds in Martinborough. Kathy more than happy to work there when she heard how small her class size will be. ( 12-14 )

As for how many you can stagger to in a day - well probably about 10 - if you can manage the tastings in em all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast