Thread: Potato varieties

Default Potato varieties

I'm planning to grow some spuds this year, and there are loads of different varieties of seed potatoes in the garden centres at the moment. The accompanying leaflet is useful, and describes the potato types fairly well... up to a point.

I guess what I'm hoping, is that someone can advise me which NZ variety tastes most like:
    - a Jersey Royal
    - a Pembroke / Cornish / Cheshire new potato
    - a King Edward

I shall really miss the first early Jersey Royals :-( Slathered in butter and with a generous sprinkling of fresh chopped mint leaves.... Mmmmmmm....

Thanks!
    J

Not able to answer your questions (as I've never even heard of those kinds of potatoes) but how do you grow potatoes?

I've never tried it but am curious. I assume you need pretty rock free soil, but anything else?

Also- I'm a pot gardener at the moment (might move to another flat soon so wasn't worth putting them into the ground) Is it possible to grow potatoes in a pot? Would I just need a really big one?

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Also- I'm a pot gardener at the moment (might move to another flat soon so wasn't worth putting them into the ground) Is it possible to grow potatoes in a pot? Would I just need a really big one?
    Yup, we grew potatoes in pots last year. They were pretty big pots - about 3 feet in diameter.

hrmmmm. That would require large expensive pots and a LOT of soil.

I think it won't be worth it for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    hrmmmm. That would require large expensive pots and a LOT of soil.

I think it won't be worth it for awhile.
    We used three plastic drums that had been used for animal feed or something like that - just punched some holes in the bottom of them. They're not pretty, but they did the job (and, best of all, were free - we got them off a farmer).

I've found Perlas closest to Jersey new potatoes, delicious

We've planted Jersey Bennes which is an early, small variety and sounded like a Jersey to me! (Unless I've been completely misled by the name ).

Edited to say that if you have the space in your garden, car tyres are supposed to be an excellent way of growing potatoes. Just stack a couple, fill them with soil/compost and as the potatoes grow you can add an extra tyre and soil to do the building up of the soil thing you're supposed to do. Generally free from your local tip or tyre places. Cheaper than pots although not as attractive.

A great all-rounder that we grow (and buy) is Nadine. A yellow waxy spud that is good however you cook it.