Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A rental question ??

Default A rental question ??

Hi all,

We're currently looking at a renting a holiday home in the kapiti coast, Wellington (Pram beach, start Feb '09), and have spotted one that looks right up our street (excuse the pun). The photo's look lovely, as it's a holiday home it has good recent reviews from holidaymakers, it's four bedroomed, fully furnished (I know!) and phone/tv, internet, furniture, linen, power, gas and gardener included in the cost. They haven't come back to us with a weekly rate yet (based on 12 month rental) - am steeling myself so would really like to know from you guys, what should I expect a reasonable rate to be for this type of property (with bills)?

Would very much appreciate any help with this, I've tried looking elsewhere but can't find any advice on this specifically.

Twig

For a 3 bed holiday home place in Christchurch, furnished, and including bills we paid $400 a week for a 4 week period. Might give you some idea?

We were paying $415/week for very new 4 bed unfurnished, but with garden maintenance included in Hamilton.

When we arrived we rented Fern Cottage in Lower Hutt for $560.00 per week. We were there for 6 weeks and it was great.
    We then moved to Springhill Cottage in Pukerua bay about 20 mins from Paraparaumu. This was also lovely 2 bed for $600.00 a week.
    These were both holiday cottages, fully furnished, internet and all bills paid.
    In my opinion Paraparaumu may be cheaper as there will be more choice and options.
    Hope you find what you are looking for.

They've come back with $650 per week plus $120 for bills

Not sure...abit steep me thinks.

It sounds about right IMO for a furnished 4 bed place in Param with all utilities etc - remember these are holiday rentals so it will be higher than "normal" furnished rentals! Also the Kapiti coast is more popular (for holidays!) than the Hutt, so costs will be higher.

I would recommend only renting a holiday house for 4-8 weeks max, which will give you enough time to look round other rentals/move if you don't like the area/neighbours etc - 12 months is a long time to commit yourselves at first!

Matt

Thanks Matt, sound advice when I stop and think about it, the only problem being is that we've been looking at normal rentals for about a year now and if I'm honest most of them are in a shocking state, and fully furnished rentals are like gold dust. Our only option seems to be a holiday home, not just for the condition and furnishings but for the availability.

On a plus note we fhave found another rental near Parapram, only a 3 bed but quite large bedrooms, nice garden near beach etc etc (but would have to sleep with baby another year!!) - and this is for $520 all in. Much better. But will still take on what you said about an 8 week rental.

Cheers all,

Twig
    p.s. your place looked fab though matt

Quote Originally Posted by Big Puku View Post
    12 months is a long time to commit yourselves at first!
    Sorry, just had a thought after I posted. If we signed a periodic tenancy agreement for a 12 month period - surely if we hated living there we could still move elsewhere, we would just need to give a 21 day notice period, am I right?

Yes, a periodic tenancy is deffo the way to go (i.e. an ongoing tenancy of no fixed length that can be ended by giving notice - typically 21 days for the tenant, 90 days for the landlord).

I know a couple of people who committed to 12 months on rentals, and regretted it for different reasons. There's nothing like seeing a property with your own eyes of course

Thanks for the comments on our holiday house; we've only just started to rent it out, so we'll see how it goes!

Matt

Default For price comparison....

Just for comparison, we have been here 10 months now and have a 3 bedroomed house with a separate self contained flat and a 20 foot by 12 foot boatshed/garage, dishwasher, fridge/freezer and washing machine supplied along with a petrol mower... standing in a 880sq meter section, 100 yards from the beach, in a quiet cul-de-sac in Waikanae Beach, Kapiti, for $360 per week, and that includes rates.
    All we had to do was rent furniture as an interim 'till the 40-foot HiCube turned up full of 300+ boxes of our own stuff (80 of which are still in the garage full).

Before we buy we are waiting for a second house to sell in the UK... it should have sold 6 months ago but due to the total incompetence on behalf of the 2 UK solicitors involved the place is still not sold... anyway enough of my problems and good luck with the hunt for your house.

Cheers
    G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast