Thread: Teaching Agencies - any good ??

Default Teaching Agencies - any good ??

Hi

I am busy trying to line up a teaching job for start of term one in Feb and am currently using one of the approved agencies.

What have other people's experiences of these been can I leave it to them to line up interviews or should I contact some schools myself ?

Thanks

IMHO - short answer, no. Contact schools yourself. Get a good CV put together and 'cold call' if necessary. They like the 'can do' attitude over here. A deputy principal friend of a good high school here in Hamilton says they never ever use agencies even for relief teachers.

I agree...don't bother with agencies.

All permanent and fixed term vacancies are required to be posted in the gazette.

Have a look here for them and then just contact the schools that interest you.

The TKI website also has added information about schools (roll, decile number and website).

Schools are open to hiring qualified applicants, regardless of where they come from (in my experience anyway).

Where I'm currently working I know of four people who have been hired while out of the country (and before they were resident of NZ), and this not only includes teaching positions but management ones too.

Cheers - as I thought then better start trawling through all those gazettes clogging up my emails.

I did get an interview with one agency; no luck sending appliations direct to schools but got my job in Early Childhood by cold calling!