Thread: Road bikes in Christchurch

Default Road bikes in Christchurch

Just "supposing" I were to look for a road bike ... can anyone recommend any shops in or around Christchurch?

Have had a look on trademe, but it's finding a frame that will fit a short-arse!

TIA,

Lou

Theres three big shops on Columbo in the town centre : BikeHQ (make sure you go in the road bike shop), and two others within 100m (JohnBull and Avanti???).
    There is also a place called Chain Reaction on RicartonRd - not been in that one.

These all have a large range of road bikes, but bear in mind that most people here buying a road bike are buying decent bits of kit so they are not cheap. Don't have a heart attack when you see them, there will be a lot of expensive things in the shop.

Depends what spec bike you want really.

There seem to be more bikes and bike shops per person in ChCh than anywhere in the UK.

Dozens of smaller shops around in shopping malls etc.
    Last edited by nellyt; 12th November 2008 at 03:54 PM.

There is also Bike Business on the Bunnings retail site on Marshlands road and how about Kaiapoi cycles next to the Hardware store

I'm in Auckland, but have just bought a bike over the net with this Christchurch based outfit:-
    http://www.pscycles.co.nz/
    I believe they do offer a fitting service too.

Arrow I Want to Ride My Bicycle... (Remember the song by Queen?)

Quote Originally Posted by nellyt View Post
    Theres three big shops on Columbo in the town centre : BikeHQ (make sure you go in the road bike shop), and two others within 100m (JohnBull and Avanti???)...

These all have a large range of road bikes, but bear in mind that most people here buying a road bike are buying decent bits of kit so they are not cheap. Don't have a heart attack when you see them, there will be a lot of expensive things in the shop.
    Popped into'em & was astounded by those prices! I was once an avid road-biker in my youth but was never able to afford the top-notch stuff... Not that my situation has improved significantly over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by nellyt View Post
    There seem to be more bikes and bike shops per person in ChCh than anywhere in the UK.
    With Summer just round the corner, there're now lots of avid cyclists on the road in Christchurch... I hear that they hail from many parts of the world & some of 'em have fantastic professional bikes & gear, not to mention their superb stamina!
    Last edited by Leo; 12th November 2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Error correction

With Summer just round the corner, there're now lots of avid cyclists on the road in Christchurch... I hear that they hail from many parts of the world & some of 'em have fantastic professional bikes & gear, not to mention their superb stamina!
    Yep, have always been amazed at the number of cyclists in and around Chch - and amazed at where we see them - halfway up bloomin' mountains with nothing but lycra keeping them together!! Certainly superb stamina. However, my perceptions of health freaks was somewhat dashed when I served a toned and tanned cyclist on his way from Springfield to Chch (about 70km) at the garage I worked in - he bought 2 packs of Twisties (like cheezy puffs) and 20 Marlboro Lights!

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    Yep, have always been amazed at the number of cyclists in and around Chch - and amazed at where we see them - halfway up bloomin' mountains with nothing but lycra keeping them together!!
    Might I add... even in the middle of the Christchurch winter! No matter the weather or the season, Sumner always seem to have no lack of cyclists in nothing except lycra and perhaps a pair of arm warmer...