Thread: Recommended used car dealers, Auckland

Default Recommended used car dealers, Auckland

Hi Peeps,

We are staying near the centre of Auckland when we arrive in January and one of the first things we need to do on our list is get a car...

Does anyone have any recommendations of good used car dealers?.. we may not be settling in Auckland (so not sure if a garage warranty is national?).

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by doowrehsij View Post
    Hi Peeps,

We are staying near the centre of Auckland when we arrive in January and one of the first things we need to do on our list is get a car...

Does anyone have any recommendations of good used car dealers?.. we may not be settling in Auckland (so not sure if a garage warranty is national?).

Thank you!!
    Not sure how 'used' you mean, but most cars sold new in NZ come with a 3 year manufacturers warranty as standard (a few are even longer), so if you buy one of these then you take on the balance of the warranty. And of course being a manufacturers warranty is covered nationally.

I any case, would check with the dealer as I'm sure that there will be different warranties available with some offereing better coverage.

Ian

We found it easier to look for the car we wanted rather than dealer we wanted, as most used car dealers have a fairly limited stock. With what I know now I would probably have bought privately though, but when you first arrive the registration and WOF process is an unknown.

As far as warranty is concerned, we had an issue with our car in Wellington, having bought it in Auckland where the dealership provided us with a "return to base" in-house policy, and they STILL honoured the claim (repaired in Wellington) without any problem whatsoever. And we're talking about $1700 claim on a $6000 vehicle. So even though our policy wasn't national at all, they honoured it. I think most typical underwritten mechanical warranties are specified as NZ wide, which certainly would cover you nationwide.