Thread: flying Via Dubai

Default flying Via Dubai

Heading out at the end of next month.

Anyone flown out via Dubai ?

I'm looking as it, because it avoid having to schelp through heathrow, only prob I have is that ther's a 10 hour stop over there. Do they have transit hotels where you can get some sleep ?

What's the service like on emirates ? Do you get booze on a islamic airline ?

Thanks

Hiya

Never flown with emirates but a mate sent me this link...no idea how tru it is....

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/9653/emirates2.html

all the best either way

Alex

Hi,

Emirates is generaly considered one of the better airlines. :P

Milliemoo

Default Dubai

Decided that the baggage allowance wasn't enough, so have booked on ANZ, go out on the 25th of next month

The boys and I flew Emirates last year. I must admit (IMHO) they're not a patch on Singapore Air. But saying that they were OK. Not that it makes the slightest bit of difference but I thought the crews uniforms were abit scruffy. Yee gads I'm sounding like my nan.

Dubai is a really nice airport, we were only there for a couple of hours or so, so didn't enquire about transit hotels etc, although I'm sure there are those facilities available.

The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that I couldn't find any toilet facilities where I could take my boys in with me. They were strictly not allowed in the ladies loo with me and obviously I couldn't go to the mens with them. They were 6 and 7 at the time (not tiny I know) but I felt uneasy sending them down a long corridor to the mens loos by themselves. I hovered around the door until I could see them coming back. I swear to God had they not come back in the time I'd estimated it would take them, I'd have gone in those loos to get them.

Neurotic mother ??????? Hell yeah !!!!!!

Diny

Hi,

Yes, we've flown Emirates a couple of times. Have no complaints. Great personal tv screens and entertainment. They also have cameras under the plane which show what's outside. They do not sell booze on Emirate planes ... they give it away(!!!). Drinks, including alcohol are free (well, they were last year) with the exception of champagne which you pay for. :P

There is a transit motel at the airport - we stayed there for six hours for a shower and nap. It is in the airport concourse and you do not need to go far from the transit gates. Just popped to the hotel reception and asked for a room - I think they have hundreds. Did feel glad that I was wearing a loose long sleeved blouse and trousers - but not everybody were self-consious about what they were wearing.

Great to hear about Emirates & Dubai - my parents are flying out with them at Xmas for our wedding & having a stop-over in Dubai on the way back. It was a pretty good price for business class (lucky devils!!!)compared with ANZ & Quantas & a limo picks them up from their address in the UK & takes them to the airport & back!!!

I agree with Diny, I prefered Singapore to Emirates, they just had more of a personal touch. Even down to taking the trouble to learn the kids names. I also did not have a very good experience at Dubai. No stopover, but I got lost and found them to be the most unhelpfull, unfriendly people I have ever come accross. The officers at the checkpoints were bordering on the point of rudeness, and when I asked for directions people would vagley point in one direction and then watch me walk the wrong way.

Not a good experience at all

I haven't used Singapaore but used Emirates for my recent visit. Only comparison I have is with ANZ and Emirates wins hands down on service, food, in flight entertainment, and the fact you haven't got to go through the LA "experience".

I agree with the comments about Dubai, nice airport, with a lot of facilities if you are in transit. It can be confusing finding your way between gates though and the airport staff weren't a great deal of help.