Thread: How much do students get paid

Default How much do students get paid

I am arriving in Hamilton on a student visa. I am permitted to work 20 hours a weeks. I just would like to know what the job market is in unskilled labor and secondly what are the hourly wages for students working as well as the tax on such wages?

Don't know any local specifics, but the unskilled job market is tight at the moment. You would get paid about $11 an hour (give or take a bit), and would be taxed at 19.5%.

I hope you have savings to live off as well.

Hi - the minimum wage is $12 per hour so you would get at least that. School students are able to get a tax rebate at the end of each tax year - I'm not sure if older students are able to get this as well ? Might be worth looking into.

My 16 year old get $12.40 an hour

theres a training rate that is a little below the minimum wage that you may be earning for a short amount of time in a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    theres a training rate that is a little below the minimum wage that you may be earning for a short amount of time in a new job.
    the only time you would get paid a training rate is in a recognised industry (i don't know what these are...maybe trades?). if they were to work in say, a supermarket they'd get paid $12..or in burger king or a gift shop. see below from the employment relations service website

What are the statutory minimum wage rates and when do they apply?

The Government reviews and sets minimum wages each year. These minimum wages apply to all types of employees, including part-time employees, casual employees, homeworkers, and employees who are paid by commission or on a piece-rate basis.

There are currently different levels for the minimum wage, depending on the employee's age and training levels.

The levels applying from 01 April 2007 are:

* Employees aged 18 and above = $11.25 per hour
    * Employees aged 16 or 17 = $9 per hour
    * Employees doing certain recognised industry training (of any age) = minimum training wage - $9 per hour - the same rate as the minimum youth wage.