Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School Donations

Default School Donations

My 11 year old will have been at school for a total of 10 weeks when they break up for the Summer holidays. I have just received an invoice from the school giving my 5 days to pay for some books, materials etc and the school donation of $180.
    I was under the impression that the school donation was an annual fee. So I have paid the $55.50 for the other bits and bobs and just queried the school donation.
    Have had a response to say that we should pay the fee now regardless of when our son started and will then have to pay again in the new term.

I know it's not a huge amount but on top of school uniform, shoes,exercise books etc etc it does add up.

What do you think?

Cheers

Kerry

Is that the whole annual fee as school donation? I think our school only asked for a part of it dependent on when they start. They sent us something regarding the girls, who will be at the school one term exactly in this year, but it wasn't the full annual fee.

I'd say offer to pay pro rata'd if you want to, and then the full fee next year. It is voluntary after all.

Daniela

My childrens "donations" are paid quarterly - at start of each term.

I wouldnt expect to pay for 3 terms they werent there!!

If I was you I would pay a quarter of it and tell them thats all you are paying. Think of it another way - you wouldnt pay a whole years back rent on a place you have just moved into!!

Tanya

Hi Kerry, when we first arrived the boys started school in Term 3. The school asked us to pay a pro rata donation fee for the boys. I think it's a bit unfair of the school to make you pay for the whole amount. What did they tell you when you first arrived?

We were told that there was a donation paid each year. However when they said each year I thought if I paid now, it would be due again November 09. Not $180 each year as in 2008 and 2009.

I know it's not a massive amount and I feel uncomfortable now I have raised it with them but I just thought it was a bit unfair. Bet my card is marked now

Could you ask some of the other parents of that school what they think about what you're being told?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Could you ask some of the other parents of that school what they think about what you're being told?
    I don't actually know any of the parents as my son walks to and from school by himself. However I will ask at the Playcentre as I'm sure some of the mums with kids even at the Primary schools may have an opinion.
    Thanks

My son started school roughly half way through he year, so I paid the equivalent of half a year's donation. I then paid for all the stationary that was shared amongst the class, (white markers, pencils etc), but only paid for some of the exercise books as I didn't think he'd use them all.

Many parents I know will also use exercise books from last year into the next year.

Is $180 definitely the whole year donation? I would have expected to pay for 1 term, I'm not sure how they can justify anything else.

Maybe a polite email saying you are unfamiliar with the NZ system and is the donation for a term or a whole year, and how much will it be next year?

We usually get asked to pay the donation in term 1, with a discount for prompt payment.

Cheers

Tia

Just took this from the schools webiste:

School Fee / Donation
    These donations are $150.00 per student for the year. The school fee is used to help pay for things not covered by the Operations Grant from the Ministry, such as the school medical centre, sports and cultural activities, the school diary, official uniforms, Watermark, Reports, or for other such purposes as the Board of Trustees may determine for the benefit of the students. The fee is tax deductible. As a thank you to those who support the school in this way we issue them with the annual School Yearbook, which is not available for purchase in any other way.

So i'm getting invoice for $180! Wonder if I get two Yearbooks, which of course won't feature my son as he has only been there 10 weeks

Tia
    I did do the 'i'm new email' and they said, one fee whenever you join! BUT of course is is a donation . It is such a small amount when you convert it in to £ and I know it is low compared to some of the schools (you posh lot on the North Shore )
    Last edited by Kerry and David; 19th November 2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: missed off bracket

At our son's Catholic Primary school the fees are as broken down as follows and we pay these each term:

School Development Donation $35
    Provides finance to allow for our school development programme (building works etc)

Attendance Dues $72 (incl. $8 GST) increased to $82.50 (incl. 9.17 GST) in 2008
    Go directly to the Auckland Catholic Education Diocesan Fund. Used to service loans for capital works at Catholic schools throught the county.

Special Character Donation $10
    Charged by the Catholic Education Office to fund expenses for advisers in Religious Education

Parent Contribution Donation $114 increased to $122.50 in 2008
    Provides funds additional to the Government Grants for the running of the school

The Special Character Levy, School Development and Parent Contributions are on a voluntary basis (read 'we expect it to be paid and won't look kindly on you if you don't')

He joined the school about 3 wks before the end of Term 3 in 2007 and we weren't charged for it. We then paid the above figures from the start of Term 4 in 2007. I've now set up a direct debit as it was a shock to get hit with a bill for $250 at the beginning of each term on top of the stationery, new uniform, new shoes etc.

Not quite sure what to do in your situation, is there a kind soul in the office at the school you could talk to? Its sometimes easier to have these conversations face to face rather than trying to 'negotiate' via email.

Hope the above helps,
    Anneliese

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast