Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American cars in NZ?

Default American cars in NZ?

Hi all. Is it common (or at least not unheard-of) to see American cars in NZ, or any cars that have the steering wheel on the left side? Are such cars even street-legal?

Thanks.

They are legal to drive but can't be sold (without special dispensation).
    As for American made cars there are Fords, but not much else. and the models tend to be Ford Cools and Falcons which aren't common in the US.

Hmm, ok, thanks.

By the way, what are the odds that you'd see a life-long Kiwi driving one of these cars? I mean, do you see "left-hand-driver-side" cars around, or are they quite rare?

Hey there,

I have seen a few right-hand drive American cars aroud ChCh. Not common though, and mostly collectors. Saw a beautiful late 1950's Thunderbird up on the Port Hills one day. You also see left-hand drive American vehicles occasionally. The chap (a Kiwi) who was across the street from us in ChCh drove a huge Ford F250 pick-up. I only ever saw 2 - the other belonged to his brother!

Chyrysler also has a presence in NZ. You see Jeeps etc around, but they are not common (http://www.chrysler.co.nz).

cheers

dan

Quote Originally Posted by God-Man View Post
    Is it common (or at least not unheard-of) to see American cars in NZ, or any cars that have the steering wheel on the left side? Are such cars even street-legal?
    Legal, yes, common, no. We've got one (not American, though), and there are a couple of others that I see around on a more regular basis, but not much more than that.

Daniela

Ah, okay. Thanks for the answers, all.
    I should've elaborated, by the way: I just meant left-hand-driver cars in general, whether American or not. I was wondering how often you'd see them around (presupposing of course that they were legal to drive).

Are they about as rare as Limousines (you might see one of those once every couple days here in southern California, if you drive a lot), or more common? Might feel awkward to be the only person in NZ driving a left-hand-driver-side car for a while.

Lods of left handers particularly old American classics around the Waikato/Hamilton areas and all in mint condition..very popular in these parts apparently.

my OH's workmate own and drive his old american left-hand car, OH just told me what type of car - "New Yorker"

Quote Originally Posted by stellafella View Post
    Lods of left handers particularly old American classics around the Waikato/Hamilton areas and all in mint condition..very popular in these parts apparently.
    Same round these parts, some fantastic old American cars, I've got my eye on a racing-green convertible Mustang for retirement

Quote Originally Posted by God-Man View Post
    Might feel awkward to be the only person in NZ driving a left-hand-driver-side car for a while.
    Do you have a pet four-wheeled friend you're hoping to bring with you, then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast