Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Recycle?

Default How to Recycle?

In the UK I used to use Freecycle, a website that you listed goods to be recycled at no charge.
    Is there anything like that in NZ? My stuff is FINALLY arriving tomorrow and I have two single beds to get rid of and a very worn out chair. I don't want to put them on Trademe as they were donated to us and I don't feel comfortable making money out of other peoples goodwill. Also the bed bases are a bit damp looking but the mattress is fine.
    I know that some councils do an annual pick up of large items which I will look in to but in the meantime any suggestions?
    I did look on Tradme to see if I could list for free but dont think I can?

Thanks!

you could contact the salvation army who pick up furniture. could you put it on trademe for a dollar reserve and say in the info that first in, first serve to come pick it up? or there is always listings in the paper or some supermarkets (new world seem to have them) have notice boards where you could put a notice.

Ellen's right - TradeMe them - you'd be surprised how much 'worn out' stuff goes for!

Or you can put them in the trade and exchange in the "free" section
    http://www.te.co.nz

There's always Gumtree!

You can actually get money for your gear and its free advertising! I know there is one for Christchurch as we have been looking at it for rental accommodation for when we arrive!

Not all cities have a gumtree site tho!

Mrs G

You could also leave them outside your house by the street with some note saying it is free. Some people might be interested. I often stop to have a look at free stuff by the road and that's actually how I got a lovely child's desk for my son. All it needed was a lick of pain.
    Cheers, Laura

..euh, I meant a lick of paint, obviously..

Quote Originally Posted by SharpBlade View Post
    You could also leave them outside your house by the street with some note saying it is free. Some people might be interested. I often stop to have a look at free stuff by the road and that's actually how I got a lovely child's desk for my son. All it needed was a lick of pain.
    Cheers, Laura
    There was a story going round locally a few months ago about a man wanting rid of a perfectly good (forget exactly what) large furniture item. He did everything he could to give it away - charities, small ads. No takers, given that he'd rather not pay for hiring a van or trailer to transport it himself. He stood the thing in his front garden, with a sign saying it was free to anyone who would collect. Nothing. Then he changed the sign: '£20 - buyer to collect.' Next morning, somebody had nicked it.

I was going to suggest the Salvation Army too. We had a sofa bed that we didn't need anymore and we called them up. They came and collected it the same day, no worries. We were pretty surprised at how quick they were, but that's good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast