Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement windows in Christchurch

Default Replacement windows in Christchurch

Hi - we're in the process of getting quotes for new windows and wondered whether any one could recommend a company they have used ?
    So far we have had Rylock round because they are local. Very helpful, just waiting for the quote to come through the door ( I'll make sure I'm sitting down ! )

Try http://www.nkwindows.co.nz/ . They are more expensive, but you don’t have the issues with aluminium frames.

I was going to suggest NK Windows as well. They are proper uPVC windows with the option of argon-filled and/or low e glass. You won't have any of the problems associated with aluminium windows, their energy efficiency is much higher and they look so much better too. And they're in Chch so you can go to their showroom and see the product (which will probably remind you of windows in the UK). The frames come in several colours and there are lots of styles of windows, patio doors and front doors. (No I don't work for them!!).

Hi - Thanks so much for that, I'll contact them.
    What are the problems associated with aluminium ?

There's often no proper thermal break in the frame with aluminium windows which means that the frame will transmit the cold from outside and so will be cold and damp, even when the glass itself is okay. You also need to look at how the glass is fixed into the frames, and the type of glass used. In addition, uPVC frames last a lot longer and stay in better condition than aluminium ones (ignore what some people tell you about uPVC not being suitable for NZ's strong sunshine levels, it's not true).

IMHO, aluminium frames look as they belong in a greenhouse and that's not where I want to live . But. whatever you decide to do, study the info in detail and don't necessarily go for the cheapest option. In some cases, if you pay more, you get a more energy efficient product and so you get payback in terms of lower fuel bills more quickly (to say nothing of improved comfort and happiness levels at home!!)

Thumbs up

Ahaa - noted - thanks

I assume you are or have been involved in the window busines Derv. Would you be willing or able to expand on your comment about uPVC being stable in NZ conditions?
    We are considering having euro style windows installed if and when we build and have been repeatedly told by many people in the industry here that as the U.V is so much stronger than Northern hemishere, the frames break down and discolour.
    As it is now a requirement to have DG in new builds in a huge part of NZ, it would be good to have an informed opinion from someone who is not trying to sell us their product.

We replaced our window panes, i.e retro fitted double glazed units into existing aluminium frames back in August so ahd the tail end of winter to see the benefits.

Yes on very cold mornings outside there was still condensation on the frames but we didn't feel it was a significant problem where as before there was major mopping up operations

With this in mind we'll probably have aluminium frames in our new house as cant afford them and also UPVC have not been around long enough in NZ to see how they do react to the higher UV levels than in UK.

Actually, I'm not in the window business at all, though I did work on energy issues for many years in the UK. Really I'm just interested in getting our house as energy efficient as possible and we always intended to have uPVC windows here. When we asked about them when we started planning our build, we kept being told "What's that?", "Never heard of them", "We don't do it that like that here", "What do you want that for" or "that isn't suitable for NZ but only for England where it's cold and dark all the time". So we started to find out more for ourselves and we are convinced that uPVC will be perfectly fine in NZ conditions. uPVc is used in many countries around the world very successfully and and many of those countries have more extreme weather conditions than NZ.

I think some of the Kiwi attitude to uPVC is that they genuinely don't know what it is and think it's just plastic, and also it's the "not invented here" syndrome. Plus some of their energy efficiency standards are way behind the UK so they have no need for the sort of standards that are common in the UK. As many forumites have said, Kiwi houses are often cold and damp and we don't want ours to be like that!

Don't get me wrong, we love NZ and many of the features of our house will be totally Kiwi but we did not want to live with aluminium windows (nor with a wriggly tin roof, but that's another story!)

Quote Originally Posted by westi View Post
    Hi - Thanks so much for that, I'll contact them.
    What are the problems associated with aluminium ?
    We extended our house about a year and a half ago and had aluminium windows put in to the new bit and also some of the original bedrooms. It was the builders choice, not ours. We were thinking about getting quotes for upvc windows then found out he had already ordered some so went along with his choice so as not to hold things up.

Over the summer we had the rest of our windows replaced with aluminium ones to match. During the winter all of the frames had condensation on and during very cold nights water would pool at the bottom. The gap between the window ledge and the metal window frame has black mould and we had to wipe the condensation channel down frequently to stop mould collecting. The aluminium windows all seem to have drainage channels so they are obviously expecting to collect water.

The only regret I have with renovating our house was not going with upvc. We didn't have any of these issues with ours in the UK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast