Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Fraud, be aware

Default Credit Card Fraud, be aware

I received this email from a friend of mine in Auckland, so please be on your toes, especially at this time of year.................

Please read and be CAUTIOUS!!!

Look out!!

Hi everyone,

I want to let you all know that Frank and I have been the victims of credit card fraud this week and felt I should warn you all about the clever scam. It works like this:

Last Wednesday I had a phone call late morning from Express Couriers to ask if I was going to be home as he had a delivery for me. He said he would there in roughly an hour. He turned up with a beautiful basket of flowers and wine. I expressed my surprise as I wasn't expecting anythinglike this and said I was intrigued to know who was sending me such a lovely gift. He said he was only delivering the gift and the card was being sent separately (the card has never arrived). There was a consignment note with the gift.

He went on to explain that because the gift contained alcohol he has to charge the recipient $3.50 as proof that he has actually delivered to an adult, and not left it on a door step if the recipient is out, to be stolen or taken by children. This seemed logical and I offered to get the cash. He then said that the company required the payment to be by Eftpos so he's not handling cash and everything is properly accounted for. Frank was there and got his credit card and 'John' swiped the card on this small mobile machine that also had a small screen upon which Frank entered in his pin number. A receipt was printed out and given to us.

Between last Thursday and Monday $4,000 was withdrawn from our credit account at ATM machines in the North Shore and Rotorua area. It appears a dummy credit card was made using the details in the machine and of course, they had Frank's pin number.

The Bank has stopped our cards and I've been to the Police this morning, where they confirmed that it is a definite scam and many households were hit during the first 3 days of October.

So PLEASE be wary of accepting a gift you're not expecting especially if the card is not with it. We've all received gifts like this and would never dream that it could be such a despicable act. Please also let other female friends and relatives know. Hopefully, these fraudsters have ceased this activity by now but you never know. I wanted to warn all my friends.

P.S. I don't think I'll ever drink the wine - I'd probably choke on it!

Kim

Great warning Kim, one that people should be aware of!!

Thanks for the info Kim.

Seems like the banks are onto it... a couple days ago I made a $4000 purchase online using my Westpac credit card and promptly received a phone call asking if the charges were legit.

Thanks Kim

I had my credit card skimmed in London a few years ago.

I got the money back straight away.
    Pain in the ass tho' cos my account was frozen until I was issued with a new card and numbers etc.

Nick.

NZ credit cards seem to be increasingly at risk of fraud, particularly when travelling abroad, because the majority are not yet "chip and pin" - i.e. they're just the standard old card with the magnetic strip. As more and more other countries move onto more sophisticated cards, the criminals target the "easy" cards from places like NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by talisker View Post
    NZ credit cards seem to be increasingly at risk of fraud, particularly when travelling abroad, because the majority are not yet "chip and pin" - i.e. they're just the standard old card with the magnetic strip. As more and more other countries move onto more sophisticated cards, the criminals target the "easy" cards from places like NZ.
    Our ASB credit cards are Chip and Pin

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Our ASB credit cards are Chip and Pin
    we've not had anything else since we arrived here, chip and pin only! (With kiwibank, BNZ and ASB )

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/express.asp

this was apparently true and happend in Sydney in October

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast