Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COST OF CONTACT LENS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default COST OF CONTACT LENS

HI ,

Does anyone buy monthly contact lens in NZ.

What do you pay ?

thanks ,

Marie x

I know Eric from Amanda is an optometrist .. maybe they can tell you, we had a post about glasses a while ago, that is why I remember:

http://www.enz.org/forums/viewtopic....hlight=glasses

Hi Marie

I had monthly disposables in the UK but am now looking to get some lenses here, hopefully going into town on Saturday to find out about them so I will let you know.

Jules

Marie

Everyone is different, everybodies requirements are different, but here goes!!!

Aprrox price for monthly replaceable soft lenses including supply of solutions and aftercares as required (min legal requirement is every 6mths) is $500 per year.

If you have more complex prescription/requirements then the price would increase from their.

Daily replaceable lenses come in at about $212 for 3 months supply. Aftercares are charged on top of that.

I hop that helps. Eric has not been easy to pin down, but I now have prices for spectacles which I will post on the other thread.

Amanda

Thanks .....

I think I may bring a big supply with me ,and hopefully when we get visitors they can bring me supplies [brother in law owns a specsavers ]

Just ordered a new pair of glasses today ,so should be ok for a few years . :cool

Marie x

Quote Originally Posted by eric_amanda
    Aprrox price for monthly replaceable soft lenses including supply of solutions and aftercares as required (min legal requirement is every 6mths) is $500 per year.
    Can you clarify that? If you get the monthly replaceable lenses, does that mean you must see the optometrist at least once every six months?

FYI, I use Acuvue (the original version) bi-weekly disposables, and get them for US$25/pack (6 lenses per pack, one pack per eye) or less. I assume the price won't be quite so gentle on the wallet in NZ...

coastcat, sorry it was a little ambiguous (sp?), having worked in the profession for 10 years I forget that not everyone understands what I am talking about!!

Anyone who wears contact lenses, should have aftercares (a check of your eyes specific to wearing contact lenses but not a full sight test) every six months, it is to check the general health of your eyes etc and to make sure wearing the c/l is having no adverse effects. For some it may be necessary to have more regular checks especially when someone starts wearing lenses for the first time. Legally though opticians cannot give out more lenses if aftercare checks are not up to date. Hope this clarifies!!

Marie, bringing a supply is not a bad idea, I assume your bro in law will be supplying at cost? but don't forget those regular checks, it is for the sake of your eyes. Which practice does he own?? Eric worked at Halifax for years and some friends of ours here owned a specsavers before they moved out here!! Oh and I have friends who own the practice in Huddersfield - small world eh!!!

Amanda

HI Amanda and Eric ,

my brother in law has a specsavers in Bracknell .

I dont suppose children get free glasses either ,

thanks for your help ,

Marie x

Marie

You are right, children do not get the help here with sight tests and glasses like they do in the UK. It's a shame really, Eric says they see very few children in fact.

One point I forgot to mention whenyou stock up on lenses....watch the dates on them.

Best wishes

Amanda

I went to the Student Optometry clinic at Auckland Hospital (perk of being a Uni lecturer I got a free check!). They do cheap priced check-ups and supply glasses and contact lenses at low prices.
    The students are in their final year before qualifying and are really thorough and watched over by a fully qualified optometrist. It was the most thorough check I've ever had, and although it took a little longer than usual it didn't bother me.

I have extended wear lenses, which I change every month. One years supply cost me about $500. Normal monthly lenses I was quoted $350 without the solutions.

You can get a twin pack of solution (2 month supply) for about $20 in most pharmacies, and can often get them on special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast