Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying with baby - bassinet seat choice

Default Flying with baby - bassinet seat choice

I've just booked tickets with Singapore Airlines to take my baby home to see his UK family next April. He'll be 6.5 months when we fly and I'm taking him by myself so want to make the journey as stress-free as possible. Going through the online booking process with SA, on the flights I've booked there's currently a choice of bassinet seats I can take so I was wondering if people that have done the journey before could advise where the best place to be is? The choices seem to be either one of the aisle seats in the central section bulkhead - is there a risk of having a disgruntled single person in the seat next to me wanting to get in and out? - or in the bulkhead window seats - therefore making it more difficult for me to get in and out if they put two people in the centre and aisle... The seatguru.com's of the world judge these seats from the point of view of someone travelling without an infant so I can't find any advice on what the best option is in this situation.

I'm thinking I need be able to get up and down to the toilets for changing etc. with as much as ease as possible but if bubs is sleeping don't want to be disturbing him for other passengers to get by etc.
    Any advice/thoughts from those with experience would be welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Cath18 View Post
    I've just booked tickets with Singapore Airlines to take my baby home to see his UK family next April. He'll be 6.5 months when we fly and I'm taking him by myself so want to make the journey as stress-free as possible. Going through the online booking process with SA, on the flights I've booked there's currently a choice of bassinet seats I can take so I was wondering if people that have done the journey before could advise where the best place to be is? The choices seem to be either one of the aisle seats in the central section bulkhead - is there a risk of having a disgruntled single person in the seat next to me wanting to get in and out? - or in the bulkhead window seats - therefore making it more difficult for me to get in and out if they put two people in the centre and aisle... The seatguru.com's of the world judge these seats from the point of view of someone travelling without an infant so I can't find any advice on what the best option is in this situation.

I'm thinking I need be able to get up and down to the toilets for changing etc. with as much as ease as possible but if bubs is sleeping don't want to be disturbing him for other passengers to get by etc.
    Any advice/thoughts from those with experience would be welcome
    My experience is as someone who has spent many hours on long haul listening to other peoples babies crying, could I suggest a wing seat?

I guess the reality is that if you have to fly, you have to fly, but if you occupy the end seat of a row, you WILL be disturbed.

They will prob have you in the aisle seat as thats where the bassinet positions are nearest to. If there are any spare seats on the plane, you probably wont get a lone traveller next to you.... its actually quite hard to squeeze past the bassinet from the inner seat, and only really possible from the aisle seat.

Make sure you check, confirm and double check again that you have that seat you need with the bassinet, in case some dork reassigns it by mistake....

Good luck...

IF you can get it (aircraft dependant of course) get the one nearest the emergency exit,it is by far the easiest one to sort the child out and get in/out yourself, wish you luck, not the easiest thing in the world travelling on a plane with infants!!

I found it easier to use middle part of plane (aisle?) seats, because other passengers in your row can get out other end of aisle seat away from you as you may likely (or ask for it) to have end of row seat for easy to get out with baby, especially to take a baby for walk around the plane etc

If you are travelling alone with a child, they wont let you sit next to an emergency exit as you have to be able to open the door, I've not seen any bassinet next to any either, only at the bulkheads.
    While travelling to NY, even though we had booked a bassinet we did not get one as only 2 were available on our plane type, in the middle, none on the sides. On the way back we did get one and there was space (for a plane that is) even with the bassinet installed to move around, but if you are sitting in the middle you will have to ask to get out.
    If you sit on the end then people have to ask you to move and you get the ability to get things out of your bags overhead (nappies, bibs, toys etc) without having to ask every 5 mins for your neighbour to move out. It means more hassle for you, but as you have a baby anyway it wont add anything to your hassles . Chances are you will be sitting next to a group of 3 in the centre of the plane and they will all know each other and also have a baby in a bassinet.
    Last edited by JandL; 22nd November 2008 at 08:56 PM.

I would choose the one of the aisle seats in the central section - same reasons as Sophia. Also unless the plane in packed they will most likely block off the seat next to you (ie. it will be free for you to use), as the usually you will find the other bassinet will be being used by a couple travelling together and the airlines don't seem to stick a single person in the spare seat (stuck between the bassinets) in that situation.

Hi

Choose an aisle seat in the bulkhead so you are right in front of the bassinet for your child and you can get in and out, the people next to you may have a baby also or if they don't they can easily walk around to get to their seats without disturbing you - what I would say is to keep essentials for baby in a smallish bag that you can stow under your seat - not sure what time you are flying or how well your baby sleeps but we found that our son slept very well in the bassinet once he was fed - which I did on take off (not sure if you are nursing him but whichever it will help his ears with the pressure to do this) - basically you have as much right as everyone else to fly so just ignore any disgruntled murmurings - we travelled all around the world with our son before he was 2yrs old and we are emigrating to NZ next week and he'll be 3 soon - so good luck - be prepared and enjoy your adventure - Rx

Quote Originally Posted by rubyray View Post

what I would say is to keep essentials for baby in a smallish bag that you can stow under your seat
    You're not actually allowed to stow anything under you seat in bulkhead row (there actually isn't any room as this is where your life jacked is stored I think),so you only can keep things in the little magazine holder for takeoff and landing. But I have found the air hostesses very helpful with frequently offering to get stuff down out of overhead locker for me, so I didn't have to get up all the time.

Thanks everybody for your comments - have now changed my seats so they're all centre aisle seats with the bassinet I'm sure it's going to be a tough test of my parental abilities but there's plenty of good advice and tips on here about travelling with littl'uns so I'm sure I'll be reading and re-reading those until I can quote them backwards!! TBH bubs is pretty good at the moment for sleeping and is quite a placid baby when he's awake so hopefully I can keep him happy so as not to upset my fellow passengers - I've certainly done the longhaul with other people's screaming children but that's one of the joys/pitfalls of this emigrating business. I don't think his UK grandparents would be happy if they didn't see him until he was ten and could rationalize dealing with a 30 hour journey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast