Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Salary comparison

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default Salary comparison

    I know this has more than likely been raised before but struggling and need some help from you guys. My OH and I have no kids and in UK have a joint income of approx 70K so lifestyle is pretty good. We want to move to New Zealand and realise this will mean a drop in salary but want to maintain a good standard of living. Our destination will hopefully be Wellington what salary do you think would be required to ensure we still maintain a decent standard of living.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hamilton-ex Brisbane,Australia
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I'm not from the UK so I can't help you out with figures. But I do know in previous discussions about this topic, the comment frequently made is it depends what your definition of a 'decent standard of living' is. So it might be helpful to list some of the requirements for you, eg. size of house, how often you go out for a meal, type of holiday you usually go on and frequency etc. Then others might be able to give you a better idea about actual numbers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melly View Post
    I'm not from the UK so I can't help you out with figures. But I do know in previous discussions about this topic, the comment frequently made is it depends what your definition of a 'decent standard of living' is. So it might be helpful to list some of the requirements for you, eg. size of house, how often you go out for a meal, type of holiday you usually go on and frequency etc. Then others might be able to give you a better idea about actual numbers.
    thanks and good point. we have 2 new cars incl merc CLK and a van , 1 or 2 holidays a year (season tickets at Leeds Utd!!! but can be excused for that) We currently live in a 3 bed semi with a small mortgage and would not want to take on a massive mortgage but would compromise in other areas. Luckily we bought our home before house prices got high so the recent fall hasn't been such an issue. We are not regulars for eating and drinking out but have now got used to having quite a good amount of disposal income and would not want to move to a point where money became tight.

    thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helen62 View Post
    I know this has more than likely been raised before but struggling and need some help from you guys. My OH and I have no kids and in UK have a joint income of approx 70K so lifestyle is pretty good. We want to move to New Zealand and realise this will mean a drop in salary but want to maintain a good standard of living. Our destination will hopefully be Wellington what salary do you think would be required to ensure we still maintain a decent standard of living.

    Thanks
    I've said this before: it only means a drop in salary if you accept it does. If you're a nurse or a teacher then you're pretty much stuck as the rates reflect national rates, but in any other job, if they need skilled workers then they must pay the going rate.

    Don't be flim-flammed about salary cuts, or promises of 'other benefits'. The cost of living is about the same in NZ as it is in the UK, albeit in slightly different ways. If you take a pay-cut, you will lower your material state. If that's fine by you, then great stuff - many people come here for a simpler life and love it.

    But if you want to maintain your existing standard of living, then you have to maintain your existing income, simple as that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Posts
    432

    Default

    everyone is different. Its hard for me to give advise as I seem to spend whatever I earn. Its only now im learning to start to save.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I have never felt as poor as i do in NZ everything here is so expensive, compared to when we lived in West Yorkshire. The problem is that food costs about the same as the UK but wages on average 20% less. If a outdoor lifestyle is what you want then you will have no problem.

    Karen

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bay of Plenty
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Karen View Post
    I have never felt as poor as i do in NZ everything here is so expensive, compared to when we lived in West Yorkshire. The problem is that food costs about the same as the UK but wages on average 20% less.
    Karen
    I feel the same too Karen!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Some food is definitely cheaper, but some is certainly more expensive, so it probably does come out about even. But you might make a case that food costs as a percentage of income in NZ is about at the historical mean. Food costs as a percentage of income have drastically reduced in recent years with the onset of the supermarket hegemony in retail, and in some ways food is too cheap in the UK (current price rises excepted).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Food is more expensive in Christchurch believe me i have tried various options farmers markets etc better quality there.

    I have stopped eating Chicken here due to the pesticides used and it didnt taste much better than UK mass produced.

    I have been here 11 months now and hve exhausted the range here oh when are they going to bring in new lines I am sooooooooo bored with the range of foods.

    Anyway on a positive note lovely wines here

    Karen

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    thanks everyone some good points - especially about wine being cheaper maybe this will even out some of the other expenses!!! Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •