Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Shopping List

Jules,

Can I ask what the breasts are like? (The chicken ones!! ) How many did you get for $3-96? What is the quality of the chicken meat like, we've heard that the red meat is very good in general.

Thanks,

Mark. :P

The meat here really is great (imo)- I have lots of steak in the freezer - i.e. 2 large sirloins for 4.85$. Large pack of premium steak mince for $3.90 !! And that's from a SuperValue which, despite their name, aren't cheap!

Despite that, we're off for a curry tonight!

Hi Mark

There are 2 breast .

I will let you know what they are like tomorrow as I am cooking them tonight for our dinner They look ok though.

Jules

Well we have had our dinner

Chicken breasts with potatoes, carrots, peas, broccoli, sweet corn, gravy and bread sauce. Oh and mint jelly.

Yummy yum

Jules

Jules! Did you make your bread sauce or buy it?

Moorf

The chicken breasts I've used so far have been ok. Nothing amazing...just the same as you'd get in the UK. And that's from a variety of different places.

The whole chickens, though....well, different story

They seem to have really huge legs & not much breast meat...a good sign that they've been running about a bit...and they're VERY tasty.
    And that's just the supermarket ones...

Beef steak is superb quality generally, as most people have attested to. And very cheap.

In fact, I'd have to say that NZ does a damn fine job of producing good quality fresh meat & veg at a reasonable price. The meat is CERTAINLY better than the crap Tescos try & flog back in England.

I haven't seen many butchers , greengrocers ...y'know , small independent shops here though. Not in Wellington anyway.
    That was a bit of a surprise tbh.

Hi,

On the subject of meats - does anyone know the availability of duck? I ate some at a farm near Rotorua once (our host went outside with a gun :eek ) but have not seen any in the usual supermarkets. Also goose (we don't like turkey much) for the Christmas dinner?

:?

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    Jules! Did you make your bread sauce or buy it?

Moorf
    Sorry Moorf I didnt make it myself, my sister in law sent me a packed of it a couple of weeks ago , not as good as homemade though.

Steves mum makes her own, she used to do a fab roast chicken dinner on Sundays with homemade bread sauce, mmmmmm lovely. She did show me how to make it though, she used to put some milk into a big bowl, stick some cloves into an onion and soak the onion in the milk for a hour or so, then I think she diced the onion into the milk added loads of bread crumbs then put it all into a pan, added pepper and heat till nice and thick I couldnt tell you how much milk or bread she used.

Jules

Strangest one I have heard of comes from a lttle inde butcher up Coromandel way. He has started making Mussell sausages.
    I have it on good authority that they taste better than they sound.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123