Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decent Indian restaurant in Auckland

Default Decent Indian restaurant in Auckland

Can anyone recommend a decent Indian restaurant in Auckland? Thats decent as in a good UK style Indian, or an actual authentic Indian restaurant, not a runny puddle of gravy with "curry powder" in it.

Having had two bizarre experiences I'm keen on finding something a bit better.

I've not had much luck with Indian food here and prefer to make my own. Will be keen to see responses. I'm sure there's a business opportunity for the sort of Indian we're after!

Gil

When ordering ask for the Indian hot or UK hot not the Kiwi one then you should be right

found that problem here too , it isnt the strength of the curry but the actual taste ..Gotta ring the uk and give a real curry maker an opportunity

Hi, OH had a curry at Night Spice on Khyber Pass, think it was good value don't think it was quite up to his usual standard !

Although these awards are not recent it is still a very popular place and several people have recently reccomended it.

http://www.ohcalcutta.co.nz/home.php

TBH we havent found anything that matches up, but we have kind of got used to the curries here now, and generally get them from Ajadz, Punjabi Dhaba or Raviz... but we dont bother that often and I hae been practicing mine a bit more instead, I just wish I could make Onion bhajis.....

There is a great South Indian restaurant called Satya. There are two of them - one on Sandringham Rd and one on K Rd. Their entrees are delicious and quite different from most other indian restaurants because they are from the south (the dahi puris are the best!) and curries are pretty good too (no idea how they compare to the UK though!)
    Just be aware that if you call up and book a table they may not actually have your booking when you get there! That's what happened to us anyway

Nosh in Glen Innes do some pretty good sauces if you want to make your own.

http://www.noshgourmet.com/

I've been trying to find a good Curry house in Auckland for a while now - and
    I've yet to find one that does a decent dhansak

There IS a really good restaurant in Welly however - called the Great India.

predictably, it's run by a guy from Leicester

Dougie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast