Thread: Cost of dental treatment in NZ

Default Cost of dental treatment in NZ

I was wondering how it compared to the UK. Here, now, its so difficult to get NHS treatment, and the prices are not much less than private. What is the cost, for instance, of getting a couple of new implants or crowns in NZ? I'm wondering whether to go abroad early next year (Poland is apparently very good and pretty inexpensive). I have been quoted about £2000 - £2500 for two implants and can get it for a fraction of the cost in Europe. If I wait until I come to NZ, what can I expect in terms of price please?

Quote Originally Posted by icemaiden View Post
    I was wondering how it compared to the UK. [...] I have been quoted about £2000 - £2500 for two implants and can get it for a fraction of the cost in Europe. If I wait until I come to NZ, what can I expect in terms of price please?
    I just had some treatment and was quoted $3000 for a bridge and around $6000 for an implant. That was for one tooth, in Auckland.

Daniela

Smile Dentists!

Daughter's brace was $5000!

Wifes filling $240

Hence haven't been brave enough to visit a dentist here yet (been here 2 years)!

I had a crown put on a molar in the last year for $800. Apparently they are about 50% more in Akl.

Eek! I think I may be flying LHR-Poland-Singapore-Chch!!

Quote Originally Posted by icemaiden View Post
    I was wondering how it compared to the UK. Here, now, its so difficult to get NHS treatment, and the prices are not much less than private. What is the cost, for instance, of getting a couple of new implants or crowns in NZ? I'm wondering whether to go abroad early next year (Poland is apparently very good and pretty inexpensive). I have been quoted about £2000 - £2500 for two implants and can get it for a fraction of the cost in Europe. If I wait until I come to NZ, what can I expect in terms of price please?
    There is a previous thread on here about dental costs, you will find it if you search. I can report that I just had a serious filling with a titanium pin, it cost me $195, which I thought was pretty reasonalbe. I got a couple of other quotes which were higher, more in the $250 to 300 range. Its average for X rays to be about $80 and an initial exam about the same. Sorry I dont know much about the cost of implants, (check previous thread, that might have been covered there)
    Sorry none of this covers implants but here are some estimates I saw in a story about dentists in the Hawke Bay region:
    Hygienist (30mins): $60 to $125; Dentist exam: $40 to $80; Dentist exam, scale and polish: $60 to $160; Exam and 2 x-rays: $70 to $140; amalgam filling, one surface: $85 to $300; composite filling, one surface: $90 to $250; Standard crown: $800 to $1500.

And this from Consumer magazine (November issue):
    Fees survey
    Each year the NZDA carries out a survey of the fees charged by its members. The association has just published the results of its 2008 nationwide survey, summarising responses from more than 400 dentists.

Thank you for that - it's a really helpful table. I may go to my dentist here and find out exactly what I need and then price it up accordingly. I guess the tip here is that if you're young and about to start out at University, then dentistry is probably the way to go!!